Surely at this time you are quite pensive, especially in the days prior to the birth of your baby and to complete it, you are a new mother who, in addition to doubts, has multiple fears related to the moment of delivery, the right clothes , food, perfect baby bottles, bath products, their care, among others. Anxiety about having your baby soon drives you to buy a huge amount of things for the newborn member of the family, but ignorance and excitement can induce you to get things that will end up taking up too much space, will probably end up stored and unused .
With you in mind, we have put together some wonderful essential lists for your baby from birth to the first two years of age, as well as some recommendations. We are sure that all this information that we have carefully selected for you, will give you greater peace of mind to choose the best for your baby from when he is a defenseless newborn until he reaches two years of age. So now is the time to get comfortable, so that you start reading and making your own forecasts. Enjoy the wonder of being a mother, choosing the best for your baby.
Check out our article on Ovulation Symptoms
Tips that you should take into account before acquiring the essential things for your baby
- When we are excited about the arrival of the baby and we know the gender, it is easy to buy and buy monkeys, bodys, stockings, mittens in bulk. We must tell you that you should avoid this, remember that your baby will grow soon and when you least realize it will have already changed its size, it may even have unused clothes . It is possible that in the first 6 months of your baby’s life, use between 3 and up to 4 different sizes. You should also consider that the sizes of the clothes in each brand differ and not all babies grow at the same rate. Your baby may wear a size 1 or a size 0 at birth and your baby will receive free clothing as a newborn.
- There is nothing wrong with receiving clothes borrowed from your friends or family, this will allow you to save a lot on purchases and reserve your budget for other requirements of your baby in the short term.
- Initially you will have to wash a lot of clothes, more than all the bodysuits. It’s no wonder your baby needs to change clothes about three times a day. You can have extra leggings or bodysuits so that you have spare parts and reduce the moments of washing.
- When choosing clothes for your unborn baby, you should consider the time of year.
- Do not hesitate to answer whoever asks you about the things you need, it is a great relief that they can give your baby useful things, unlike receiving about 10 other pacifiers.
- You must understand that not all new gadgets are essential for your baby. Don’t worry, your baby will survive without a baby monitor, a folding stroller and without the 15 pearl dresses. Although it is true that technological advances make many things easier for us, all this will depend on the way you lead your daily life; what may be secondary to you may be really essential to another mother. Feel free to ask other moms for opinions and advice.
Follow the following link and find out more about Anovulation
List of essentials for baby from birth to 5 months
Here is the list of essentially basic and essential things that you need to buy for your baby.
- Try to buy 4-8 bodysuits (make sure the openings in the head and legs are wide and loose).
- 4-8 T-shirts (lace at neckline or wide head openings, lace under crotch).
- Between 4 and up to 8 one-piece pajamas.
- 2 blankets to shelter the baby in the winter.
- Get 1-3 sweaters or jackets (with buttons down the front).
- 1-3 jumpsuits or other dress suits.
- You will only need between 4 and up to 7 socks or booties (shoes are unnecessary until your baby begins to take his first steps).
- Buy 1 and up to 3 hats (wide-brimmed for your baby in the summer, a soft hat that covers the baby’s ears in the winter).
- Mittens to prevent your baby from scratching.
- Some wool suit for the winter baby.
- Buy a beautiful and colorful summer swimsuit for your baby.
It is important that you learn a little more, read here: First weeks of pregnancy
Baby room decoration
- Crib, bassinet or just the crib if you prefer.
- Choose a firm, flat mattress perfectly adjusted to the size of the crib (less than two fingers should fit between the mattress and your baby’s crib).
- A rocking chair or armchair.
- A baby monitor.
- Soft light lamp for the night.
- Dressing room.
- Basket for toys.
Lingerie for the crib
- Buy 1-3 washable pads for your baby’s crib.
- From 2 to 4 fitted crib sheets.
- Acquire 4 and up to 6 soft and light blankets.
- Additionally, you should have between 1 and 2 heavier blankets (for colder climates).
- A changing table or pad for the dressing table or coffee table, with the strap or safety rail.
- Table cover baby changing pad.
- Diaper tray and baby wipes.
- Choose a fashionable bag to carry your baby’s diapers with style and well organized.
- Diaper cream.
- Odorless baby wipes (causes less irritation to your baby’s delicate skin).
- Soft cloths.
- 6-10 dozen cloth diapers and 6-8 diaper covers, or 2-3 large boxes of disposable newborn diapers.
We are convinced that this article will be of great value to you: Week 5 of pregnancy
Essentials for the bathroom
- Baby soap.
- Baby bath.
- Baby shampoo.
- 2-4 soft towels or hooded baby towels.
- Brush for your baby’s hair.
- Diapers and swimwear (use a different color or design than conventional diapers).
- Mild detergent for baby’s clothes.
- 10-16 bottles and nipples, both 4-ounce and 8-ounce (if your baby is strictly bottle-fed, your baby will drink at least 10 4-ounce bottles per day).
- Disposable liners for bottles.
- Electric or manual breast pump (if you are going to breastfeed).
- Milk storage bags (if you plan to breastfeed).
- Nursing pads (in case the baby is breastfed).
- Special cream for the nipples (if your child is going to be exclusively breastfed).
- Nursing pillow (if you are going to breastfeed the baby).
- Bottle warmer (reduces overnight trips to and from the kitchen).
- Bottle sterilizer (if your dishwasher doesn’t have one).
- Brush for washing bottles.
- Dishwasher basket for small items.
- Buy 4-8 bibs.
- Baby burp cloths.
- Acquire between 2 and 4 pacifiers.
- Formula milk (if you are not breastfeeding).
- Baby nail clippers or blunt scissors.
- Baby thermometer.
- Vaseline and sterile gauze (for circumcision care).
- First aid kit.
Complementary devices or equipment to transfer the baby
- Baby seat or convertibles.
- Stroller or infant carrier.
- Rocking chair or rocking chair.
- High chair.
- Baby carrier / sling.
We invite you to continue reading a little more:
Essential for your baby from month 6 of birth to the first year
Below we explain in detail a list of all the essential things for your baby from 6 months to the first 12 months of life.
Comfortable and light clothing
hoose loose, soft clothing that makes it easy for your baby to move and explore. It is preferable that you buy clothes made with excellent quality materials, it is the best to take care of your baby’s delicate skin, and it will last longer . Poor quality garments can be made from rough materials that can irritate your baby’s skin. Buy larger sizes, because your baby grows rapidly, for example you can get clothes older than his age.
T-SHIRTS AND ONE-PIECE SUITS
It will help you to buy shirts made of cotton with snaps in the neck area, in this way they will slide without difficulty over the baby’s head. If you prefer, you can also buy the one-piece shirts with snaps in the crotch.
Nothing is more comfortable than a one-piece suit, prefer pajamas or bodysuits with snaps at the front that end at the baby’s crotch. When the crawling stage begins, you can buy more resistant clothes such as denim overalls. You should first test the snaps to make sure they won’t open easily, it’s really uncomfortable to be buttoning your pants all the time and very frustrating. Get nice clothes with a clasp in the lower area to make the diaper change easier.
SHORTS WITHOUT ZIPPERS OR BUTTONS
These kinds of garments give you the advantage of changing them without having to totally change the clothes. The elastic and soft materials will give your baby more comfort.
We have selected these fabulous items for you:
GLOVES OR HATS FOR BABIES
You need to buy your baby a warm hat to cover his ears in the winter and a hat with a wide brim to protect him from the sun in the summer . Try to buy hats that do not fall off easily, such as hats with ribbons to tie them in the chin area . Gloves are quite practical to remove because of the bag shape.
SWEATSHIRTS AND SWEATERS
Try to keep your baby warm with a beanie or sweater with snaps in the front, because most babies dislike having their clothes pulled over their heads.
ANKLE BOOTS OR SOCKS
Buy some booties for when you go out and lots of socks for when you are at home. He secures the booties very well so that when he leaves they do not fall off.
We know how lovely those little shoes are, but as they learn to walk they become a real obstacle. When the baby begins to take its first steps, you can go to a shoe store specializing in children’s shoes, as they are experts in recommending the most comfortable and safe footwear, as well as the ideal size you need to buy. It is preferable that you cover their feet with knitted booties or socks before they start walking (preferably with a non-slip sole).
Ideal items for you:
Useful equipment or devices for your transfer
There are multiple devices that simplify the activities and the transfer of your baby, we choose for this stage the two essential equipment for your baby, the rest of the chairs or portables we leave it to your choice.
STROLLER OR STROLLER
It is a very effective way to move or transport the baby, before choosing the right one you should ask yourself the following questions: Do I want a stroller where my baby can recline him to comfortably sleep his naps? Is the stroller comfortable enough to be transported in the car?
It is essential that you have a fairly safe seat for your baby, buy a fairly cushioned seat that is easy to use in the car. It should also be quite practical to remove, clean and put it in the car.
HIGH CHAIR TO EAT
When your baby is around 6 months old, you will need adequate space to feed him comfortably, it is not necessary to buy a huge chair that takes up space, a seat that can be held on the table can work perfectly.
Essentials for food
When your baby reaches the stage where it requires other foods to obtain the necessary nutrients for its development and growth. You should have some essentials such as plastic cups, bottles, bibs, teaspoons and a deep plate to facilitate their feeding.
PLASTIC DEEP PLATE
Prefer a bowl with a suction cup at the bottom to prevent your baby from throwing it on the floor.
PLASTIC BABY CUP
There are plastic cups that contain a spout and a lid to simplify the intake of food. They are excellent because the liquid does not spill when it falls to the floor (buy a good quality mug). Initially, the cups with handles will be easier for your baby to use. Avoid buying those with a straw, as cleaning is difficult and liquids tend to spill easily.
Buy a teaspoon that has a rubber cover, it is gentler on baby’s delicate gums and is the perfect size to be inserted into the baby’s mouth.
At this stage you will need 250 ml or 8 ounce bottles. When he was a newborn, your baby probably used 4-ounce bottles. You will also need the nipples or nipples according to the bottles.
In the market there are multiple bibs, some are tied around the baby’s neck and others are inserted through his head. To keep his clothes clean when you feed him, he prefers bibs with long sleeves. Another excellent option is the bibs made of plastic material with a pocket in the lower area (it will serve to catch the food that falls).
These articles are also important to go in and read them:
Essentials for the bedroom
Your baby is already growing and needs some things to make bedtime easier, having a crib and the right clothes for his age will allow him to rest and develop without complications ; remember that while your baby sleeps their neurons assimilate everything they have learned during the day .
SLEEPING BLANKETS (BAGS) OR ONE-PIECE PAJAMAS
Sleepsacks will help keep your baby warm at night without having to worry about covering his head with a blanket.
CRIB WITH A COMFORTABLE AND FIRM MATTRESS
Although your baby sleeps safely with you at night, he also requires a safe space where he can nap during the day. Your baby will need a compact crib with properly spaced bars, along with a firm, comfortable mattress.
You should buy at least two to three full sheets that fit the crib, this way you make sure you have clean sheets for your baby. Leave quilts and blankets out of the crib to decrease the chances of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). It is best to avoid the use of padded protectors surrounding the crib, since these accessories also represent a risk of Sudden Death Syndrome.
If you want more information see these articles:
Security measures at home
You need to take into account some safety measures in your home, especially when your baby can already crawl, roll over and crawl. Therefore, we have selected some items that you can use to keep your baby away from common risks at home. Remember that all medicines must be stored under lock and key, in addition to vitamins, makeup and cleaning products.
PLASTIC OUTLET PROTECTORS
An exposed electrical outlet is a real temptation for your baby, especially when they crawl and their instinct for exploration prompts them to place their fingers. To keep it away from danger, buy plastic protectors and you must place them in all electrical outlets.
If you have stairs at home, get security bars for the area below and above. The bars that have hinges are quite simple to use. You can also use security gates to block out some risky areas of the house.
BABY PROOF LOCKS FOR DRAWERS
Install locks in child or baby proof drawers and cabinets, especially in those cabinets where toxic substances, sharp objects or glass are stored.
Placing locks on the lids of toilets or toilets will help you keep your baby and his toys away from the toilet. Generally, these types of locks require a button to be pressed in order to open them.
This article is a must! Week 15 of pregnancy
Essentials for the baby between the first and second years of age
Normally when your baby is between 10 months and 18 months old, he will begin to walk. But if your child has crawled and dragged a lot to move to other spaces, it may take longer to walk. It is normal for him to walk on tiptoe, you should not worry about that. When your baby is one year old he can make the clip using his little thumb and index finger, it can also help you when you dress him, it is a unique experience. Between 18 months and 2 years old, he can build a small tower with 3 cubes. Learn more about the changes that occur at this stage of development and the essential things to facilitate their learning.
Essential hygiene between 12 months and 2 years of age
Daily hygiene is very important at this age, since this is where the game begins and they tend to get dirty more often.
- He frequently cuts his nails straight.
- You should only wash their hair when it is dirty.
- Use a neutral soap to avoid irritation to your little one’s skin.
Suitable footwear for your baby
Since your child is in a fundamental stage of development, it is necessary that you get him the appropriate footwear to avoid complications when walking.
- The footwear must have a wide and high toe, it must be light and flexible .
- The inside of the shoe should not have padding
- When you go to buy shoes, you should do it at the end of the afternoon and try it on the baby’s largest foot.
- The heel of the footwear must be 6 to 8 mm thick and must be straight.
- There should be a gap between 1 and up to 1.5 cm at each end of your toes and the footwear, with the child standing up. Make sure the material of the shoe is breathable.
Protection of the baby from the sun’s rays
- Avoid exposing your baby to the sun too long in the central hours especially.
- In any activity that the baby has, you must use photoprotection measures.
- The sun filter should be preferably physical and specific for the child’s skin.
- If your child is quite blond, he will need more sun protection.
- Remember that in grassy areas and under the umbrella the sun is reflected, therefore it is exposed to the sun.
- Before putting your baby in the sun, you should apply the protection for half an hour and repeat the sun protection every two hours, if it is exposed a lot to water.
We recommend reading these very interesting articles:
Essential feeding between 12 months and 24 months of the baby
- You need to respect your child’s satiety, it is not healthy for you to force him to eat.
- When your child approaches 2 years of age, he begins to eat less, due to slower growth .
- The carbohydrates that you include in their diet provide half of the daily energy that your baby requires. Make sure your child consumes legumes, flours, cereals and vegetables.
- Avoid saturated fats and refined sugars.
- Try to get enough protein from eggs, milk, and fish. Your baby will have enough with a small steak and half a liter of milk a day.
- You cannot prohibit the consumption of any food, but you must be careful with nuts because of the choking risks.
- Cut your food into small pieces to avoid choking, you need to eat solid foods.
- Your child should be free from distractions such as pacifiers and television while eating.
- You must feed your baby following a balanced diet, teach him to eat all kinds of foods from fruits to legumes and vegetables.
- You should not let him eat between meals.
- Leave the food the appropriate time for its age on the table and when removing the plate that is without anger or conflict. Try to get your baby to eat alone.
- It is at this stage that baby teeth culminate in early childhood. Adding solid foods helps you develop your jaw and encourages chewing.
- Your child should not brush with toothpaste that contains fluoride, after each meal they need you to brush it .
- Get a brush that has fibers of soft or medium hardness, they should be synthetic, the head and ends are rounded, long handle and every 3 or 4 months you should change your brush.
- At this stage, you as parents should help her with brushing.
- Avoid giving him sugary and sticky foods like chocolates, candies, and processed juices.
- Try to prevent him from sucking on his thumb and pacifiers, in this way you avoid malocclusions.
Essential hours of sleep for the baby at this stage
It is essential that your one-year-old baby sleeps in his crib and preferably in his room, at least 10 hours a night and naps for two hours. The support of your family is essential, all members must act the same and respect bedtime , in addition to the rules and measures when putting the baby to bed.
Establish sleeping habits for your baby such as the following:
- The baby should go to bed at the same time every day.
- At bedtime you should create a pleasant environment.
- Don’t put him to sleep or cradle him in your arms.
- Before putting your little one to bed, avoid stimulating tasks.
- Avoid protests at bedtime, both parents should be firm and calm.
- Place your awake baby in the crib, if he cries come closer but only for a few minutes.
- Return him to his bed as many times as necessary if he gets up.
- From the first year your baby should only take a nap after eating for a maximum of two hours.
- When your baby does not take his nap, at night he will feel very irritated and exhausted. He may fall asleep before dinner.
- Eliminating nap time at this stage can lead to night terrors or sleepwalking.
Education and its affectivity
Between 12 months and 24 months, your baby begins to understand what the rules mean, so this is the ideal time to start his education. Already when he is 18 months old, your child starts with tantrums, it is best to act with indifference (it is difficult, but if you can do it). Share in a relaxed way with your baby the moments of the day to day such as bathing, meals and the sleeping ritual; these moments should be pleasant for both of you. Try to speak clearly so that your child learns things correctly from the beginning. Encourage him to do things on his own, but under your close supervision. Set a few minutes to read stories to your baby, the readings should be full of imagination and should be educational.
You will be interested in reading:
It is essential that you are very aware of the baby to prevent accidents, take note of what you should know about this point.
- Your baby at this age does not understand what danger means, so you should not leave him alone.
- Make the necessary provisions in your crib to prevent the child from being trapped by the bars of the crib.
- If you have stairs at home, don’t forget to put bars or protection barriers.
- The balconies and windows at home keep them with security locks.
- You must be especially careful when the baby is in the bathtub, in addition to slipping, he can drown.
- Put bumpers on corners, furniture, and outlets.
- Keep sharp or sharp objects away from the baby.
- In the kitchen the handles of the containers should not protrude and you should use the burners located in the back for greater safety.
- You must be careful with the temperature of bottles, hot foods and bath water.
- Avoid putting chains, necklaces, and bags around her neck because she can suffocate.
- The child should stay away from small objects that could put in his mouth and could choke.
Precautions when traveling with your baby in the car
- The chair must be Class I and must contain a 5-point harness to hold it (hips, shoulders and between your legs).
- Before starting the car trip, check that the car door locks are in place .
- With the seat belt you must fasten the seat to the vehicle and in the direction of travel.
- Your baby should not put his head or arms out the window.
- There should be no things on the back trays that could harm the baby.
- It is safer for your baby to always ride in the back seat.
Vaccinations and consultations
At 12 months, 15 months, 18 months and 2 years you should take your child to the pediatrician for a check-up. During each of these reviews the vaccinations will be completed. The Pertussis, Tetanus, Diphtheria, Meningococcus C and Polio vaccines, in addition to the final dose of Pneumococcus, would be pending.
In this year the vaccines against viruses such as Rubiola, Measles, Varicella and Mumps begin. You must bear in mind that some of these vaccines must be provided because they are not funded in the corresponding consultation. Always carry your health card, to have everything registered. You can expect some reactions to the vaccines, usually your child has pain in the injection area or his temperature rises. Apply local cold in the area where the vaccine was applied. Any complications should be immediately consulted with your baby’s pediatrician.
These articles are also important go in and read them:
Kathie Sand always saw the world of beauty as the terrain on which to build her professional career, a goal that was clear to her when she was only 15 years old. Her great concern to expand knowledge led her to settle in Paris where she studied hand in hand with the best beauty professionals and with the most advanced techniques for skin care.