This seed comes from a plant considered the mint family and it is said that its countries of origin are Mexico and Guatemala, so for the Aztecs and Mayans it was considered a very important and irreplaceable food. However, its incorporation into the daily diet is recent and it is considered a great food to take care of and maintain a healthy life.
They are black or white in color and contain a large amount of concentrated omega-3 fats and a lot of fiber , as well as calcium, manganese , magnesium, zinc , phosphorus, vitamin B1, B2 and B3.
How is it consumed? It is very easy to include it in the daily diet, since you can eat both the whole and ground seeds, taking into account that the white ones provide more protein than the black ones, which contain more fibers.
It is wrong to call them whole grain, because they are really seeds that have high resistance to pests and therefore for their growth it is not necessary to use pesticides.
If you want to know more about this superfood, do not miss this article, Chia: Side Effects, Benefits, How to lose weight and Best brands to buy.
Tapioca with chia
Tapioca is a kind of granulated starch that is extracted from cassava and we will explain how you can prepare it. You will need as ingredients: ⅓ cup of chia seeds, 2 cups of coconut or almond milk, ½ cup of grated coconut, 4 cups of fruit to choose (strawberry, mango or the desired one), grated orange and a little its juice, 1 tablespoon of vanilla and ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Have 4 glasses and add a portion of the chopped fruit.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients: the vegetable milk, the seeds, the orange juice and its zest, the vanilla and the cinnamon.
- You must add that mixture to each glass so that the fruits are at the bottom.
- Top it with grated coconut and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- You must serve it cold.
Citrus Smoothie with Watercress and Chia
Taking a smoothie or juices can significantly improve your health and the functioning of your body, however remember that these do not work miracles. This juice that we propose below helps to reduce the levels of hypercholesterolemia, cleanses your body, helps to get rid of fluid retention, provides nutrients and provides a large amount of fiber thanks to the use of chia seeds.
- 1 handful of watercress ,
- 1 apple (with skin, without seeds, or bone),
- 2 lemons (the juice),
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 touch of sweetener to taste
- First blend the watercress, the chopped apple, the chia and the juice of the two lemons.
- You must beat it very well until it forms a very homogeneous mixture and sweeten it if you wish.
- The ideal is to consume it in the morning.
More information about Green Leaves: Side Effects, Benefits, Properties and Healthier Types
Quinoa salad with chia (for 5 people)
- 2 cups of quinoa ,
- 5 slices of pineapple,
- 1 handful of fresh spinach ,
- 1 cucumber,
- 5 teaspoons chia seeds,
- 1 pinch of salt and pepper.
- Wash the quinoa until the water runs clear and not white.
- Measure a cup of quinoa and two of water and bring to a boil with the pinch of salt. Remove from heat when the water has almost evaporated.
- Wash and cut the spinach
- Place the spinach in a large bowl.
- Cut the pineapple and cucumber into squares and add to the bowl along with the spinach.
- In the pot where you cooked the quinoa, add the chia. Stir and pour it into the bowl along with the other ingredients.
Ready to enjoy!
Learn more about Quinoa: Contraindications, Benefits, Properties and how to include it in our Diet
Sweet crepes with chia (for 5 people)
Crepes or pancakes are as delicious as they are healthy and nutritious.
- 60 grams of chia seeds,
- 150 gr of oat flakes ,
- 4 bananas ,
- 50 milliliters of water,
- cinnamon powder
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Place the oats and bananas in a container, mixing well until the ingredients are combined.
- With the water the chia must be hydrated and then added to the preparation of the previous point.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat a non-stick pan and add a little of the mixture in a circular way. Let brown and turn with a spatula. Repeat the procedure as many times as necessary until the mixture is finished or you have the desired portions already prepared.
- You can decorate to your liking if you wish with the topping of your choice. Top with jam, syrup, or diced fruit.
If you want more information see this article Cinnamon: Side Effects, Benefits, Home Remedies and Tea Recipes
Banana cake with chia
- 180 grams of gluten-free flour,
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder,
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon,
- 1 pinch of salt,
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoon baking powder,
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda,
- 4 ripe bananas,
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds,
- two teaspoons of liquid vanilla,
- 6 tablespoons of non- dairy milk ,
- 2 tablespoons of honey,
- 125 ml of olive acceptance,
- 100 grams of brown sugar
- a few nuts.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Mix the chia with the non-dairy milk and stir. Let it rest for a while and go through the following steps.
- In a container or bowl you should sift the gluten-free flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, yeast, bicarbonate and salt.
- In another container and with a fork, mash the bananas until a kind of puree remains. Add the vanilla, chia milk mixture, sugar, honey and oil.
- Join both mixtures until it is homogeneous.
- Place it in a mold with parchment paper and as a decoration spread the chopped walnuts on top.
- Bake 35 minutes and check with a toothpick that the inside is done.
- Let cool, unmold and serve.
Chia, lactose-free yogurt, strawberry and mango pudding without oven (for 4 people)
In short, this is a way to consume chia in a different, fun and delicious way. The best thing is that it will only take approximately 10 minutes to prepare and it is a great source of fiber, calcium and proteins that give you a feeling of fullness very quickly, it has good fats and few calories.
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds,
- 200 ml. of coconut vegetable milk ,
- 1 tablespoon of sweetener to taste,
- 2 natural lactose-free yogurt,
- 1/2 mango,
- 4 strawberries
- Ginger (optional)
- Before starting to prepare it, you must soak the chia in the coconut milk for an hour or so. Move at times until its texture becomes gelatinous.
- Chop the fruits into small pieces.
- Take a bowl and add the chia mixture, yogurt, and sweetener.
- Take the glasses where you are going to place the preparation and put the mango pieces with a little grated ginger in the bottom.
- Add a layer of the pudding and on top of that the pieces of strawberries.
The milk you choose is to your liking and can be any vegetable milk or fruit juice. You can even mash the chia with cocoa powder if you want.
We teach you all the necessary information about fruit juices. 20 PERFECT combinations and their Health Benefits
Chia cookies (+/- 40 servings)
An excellent recipe to share with friends or family at any special gathering.
- 1 medium egg,
- 350 grams Of flour,
- 150 grs. chia seeds,
- 175 grs. of brown sugar,
- 225 grs. of creamy butter,
- 1 pinch of salt,
- liquid vanilla (optional).
- Beat the egg and sugar and then add the salt, butter (it should be soft) and vanilla.
- Sift the flour over the top and then mix everything well.
- Finally, add the chia seeds spread throughout the mixture until you get a manageable and slightly sticky dough.
- That mass must be divided into two parts. One of them is placed on the table and flattened into a cylinder of the thickness desired by the person. Wrap in plastic wrap and repeat this step with the remaining dough.
- Let the dough cool and then proceed to make the cookies. If you are not going to use all the dough at once, you can freeze one of them and prepare it another time.
- Remove the plastic wrap and start slicing the dough to shape the cookies.
- Put on a tray that should have parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC and when they get in, lower it to 180 ° C for approximately 12 minutes or when they begin to brown on the edges.
- When they are ready, remove from the oven, let cool and serve in a beautiful presentation for you or your guests.
Tuna covered with chia seed and soy sauce
And since not everything can be sweet, we leave you this exquisite plate of tuna with chia seeds for what you need
- 500 grams of tuna loin,
- 3 tablespoons i’m willow,
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice,
- 1 orange (juice),
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil ,
- 1 egg yolk,
- 4 tablespoons of pepper,
- 1 cup of chia seed.
- Start by mixing the soy sauce, lemon juice, orange juice, and olive oil.
- Take the tuna and marinate in this mixture for approximately 20 minutes.
- Besides, beat the egg yolk with ½ cup of water.
- On a plate, place the pepper and chia. Then when the tuna is macerated you must pass it through the whipped yolk and finally through the chia and pepper mixture.
- Take the olive oil and place it in a pan to grill the tuna on both sides.
You can accompany it with a rich salad, rice or vegetables.
Quick and easy Chia recipes
Salads cookies (crackers)
To which you can place the topping of preference, cheeses, jams, natural creams or simply consume them alone as a snack and calm hunger. They have unsaturated fats, antioxidants and are delicious.
Lime water with chia seeds
This drink has a different flavor and thanks to the chia its consistency is different. So if you are in training prepare it to hydrate yourself or just consume it to accompany your food and healthy meals.
Whole grain bread with seeds and oats
- 500 grams of organic wholemeal flour
- 350 ml of water (depends on the flour you may need a little more water)
- 7 grams of fresh baker’s yeast (1-2 grams of dry yeast)
- 17 grams of salt
- Chia seeds to taste
- Oatmeal to taste
- Olive oil
- You heat the water in the microwave for 20-30 seconds, keep it warm but not hot.
- In a large bowl, undo the yeast and let it rest for 5 minutes
- You include the 500 grams of whole wheat flour and stir it until it becomes a more or less uniform paste
- Add the oats and the Chia Seeds and stir a little more (if you include it in the previous step, part of the flour may not be integrated as it should)
- Let the dough rest and relax for 10 minutes.
- Smear the work table with olive oil (clean beforehand) and dump the whole dough on the table greased in oil (the dough will be sticky, NEVER include more flour)
- Knead for 20-30 seconds and roll into a ball at the end.
- Brush a bowl with oil and let the dough relax for another 10 minutes.
- Repeat the previous operation on the table and the short kneading 2 more times.
- The dough will be much more elastic after these short kneads and it is time for the first fermentation. To do this, we cover the ball of dough in the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest until it has doubled in size.
- The time at a room temperature of 25-30 ºC is one hour or 1 + 1/2 hours, if you are in a geographical area with a lower temperature, you can do the following: set the oven to 160ºC º minute and turn it off, put the bowl in the oven off to make the first fermentation and close the door.
- Once the size of the dough has been doubled, the work table floured a little and you turn the dough to remove the air, make one or two loaves (to taste) and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes we give the desired shape by stretching the dough on the table and let the second fermentation take place.
- If we have a baking stone we will have to preheat the oven an hour before to 225-230ºC from this moment, if not, it is best to preheat the oven to maximum power 20-25 minutes before we are going to introduce the bread.
- We leave the bread in the bowl or linen cloths covered and very well floured for about an hour until it almost doubles the volume, if you press the dough with a finger, you will see that it still recovers its shape when released.
- Grind the dough (grind is to make cuts as you like with a very sharp knife or razor blades so that the dough grows there while it is baking) and moisten with spray water.
- We introduce the bread on the baking stone or if we do not have it in the lower part of the oven (without a tray).
- We must put a glass of water for the first 10-20 minutes until it evaporates and has moisture that allows it to grow without hardening the crust. We have a tray at the bottom with porous stones that are hot, preheat the oven for 1 hour and pour the glass of water over them creating the precious steam.
- If we have left the large loaf, we let it bake for 40-50 minutes, if they are smaller, we can leave it 5-10 minutes less.
- The way to know if the bread is ready is to tap the base of the bread with your fingers and if it sounds hollow, it is finished.
- At this point we turn off the oven and let it rest in it for 10-20 more minutes with the door open, then we take it out and let it cool (whoever resists the temptation not to eat it) on a rack.
A great substitute for white bread that you buy in bakeries or supermarkets. You can spread it with whatever you want, its preparation is quick and easy and thanks to chia, better benefits are obtained since it is in the presence of high levels of fiber, minerals, vegetable proteins and antioxidants. Elements and characteristics very difficult to find in common breads.
In addition, you will be surprised how much this bread can hold without becoming hard after opening. It will make you consider buying industrial bread again 🙂
Chia and oatmeal
It is an excellent option for breakfast and helps you start the day with energy. You can easily substitute the classic box cereals or the common oatmeal with milk. So this option, in addition to being different, will give you a good amount of nutrients and vitamins.
In addition, by varying it, you get out of the monotony of always having the same breakfast.
Chia seeds and fruit jam
We make the basic preparation for any type of basic jam by substituting the sugar for the Chia seeds.
These jams are perfect to place in cookies, crepes and even with fruits. Thus eliminating the high sugar consumption of classic jams and adding good essential fats, minerals and fibers thanks to the chia seed. It is a fairly light option, but delicious and perfect for a snack.
For more information, see our articles on:
Oats: Side Effects and Contraindications, Benefits and Main Uses
Lemon: Benefits and Recipes to Lose Weight Quickly
For more complete information, we leave you the direct link to the part of the article that talks about the Benefits of Chia .
The nutrients they have are very varied and their benefits are directly related to the body and also to the brain, that is why we will mention what are the most important contributions that you can obtain from this seed:
- Soaking chia in water or liquids forms a gelatinous layer that prevents blood sugar spikes from forming, which means that its benefit is being studied to improve type 2 diabetes by stopping its digestion.
- One of its great benefits is that by consuming it, the recommended amount of fiber that an adult should consume daily is obtained. Then adding it to the daily diet will ensure the intake of the necessary dose. The recommendation is 30 grams of chia which contains 11 grams of fiber.
- The good state of the brain is essential, so consuming 30 grams of chia will provide approximately 5 grams of fatty acids, omega 3 .
- Its consumption allows you to help prevent the development of osteoporosis , in addition to ensuring that you have healthy , strong and in good condition bones and teeth . This due to their high dose of calcium that they have.
- Perhaps the manganese is little known, but this mineral also benefits the bones and allows the body to use other nutrients such as biotin and thiamine.
- Its phosphorous content condenses proteins that allow growth to take place and additionally restore various cells and tissues of the body.
- They do not have cholesterol and if you are vegetarian or vegan, this seed is perfect because its source of protein is high. It is recommended to consume 28 grams of chia to obtain 4.4 grams of protein.
- As we discussed earlier, it regulates blood sugar so it acts against insulin resistance. If this occurs, a decrease in fat located in the abdomen can be seen.
- Improve your mood, regulate appetite and sleep thanks to the presence of an amino acid called tryptophan.
- It reduces bad cholesterol and triglycerides, which in turn contributes to the improvement of blood pressure in people with diabetes, as well as increases the levels of good cholesterol.
- Additionally, they have the ability and power to absorb liquids, give a feeling of satiety , which means that your body will be full for longer than usual, give energy and have vitamin C , that is, great antioxidant power.
Here we show you the benefits of vitamins on your health:
- The importance of Vitamin C for the skin
- Ranking of the 50 foods with the most Vitamin C
- Vitamin C: Discover everything it does for you !!!
Chia seeds contraindications
For more complete information, we leave you the direct link to the part of the article that talks about the Side Effects and contraindications of Chia seeds .
Like any product or food it is not perfect and it is important that you know what contraindications and side effects this healthy seed can have. However, this will depend on the reaction of each organism, remembering that it does not have to be the same for all people.
- Due to its high amount of fiber, its consumption can cause gastrointestinal problems such as diarrhea, abdominal bloating or gas.
- Its consumption should be evaluated if you suffer from low blood pressure or are under anticoagulant treatment, since its high content of omega-3 fatty acids can make the blood thin , so before starting its consumption it is advisable to consult a doctor if there will not be drawbacks.
- There is a possibility that it overstimulates those medicines taken to control blood sugar.
- If after consuming it you suffer from rashes, watery eyes, hives, it is difficult to breathe, you have vomiting, diarrhea and even your tongue becomes inflamed, it means that you are allergic to this seed. Although this does not happen commonly, it is advisable to suspend its consumption and consult a specialist.
- If you are in the process of pregnancy, it is better to consult your doctor before ingesting chia seeds to avoid any risk to the baby and the mother’s health.
Kathie Sand always saw the world of beauty as the terrain on which to build her professional career, a goal that was clear to her when she was only 15 years old. Her great concern to expand knowledge led her to settle in Paris where she studied hand in hand with the best beauty professionals and with the most advanced techniques for skin care.