“It stimulates cellular metabolism and fights the signs caused by stress,” reads the front of the Cien Men Anti-Wrinkle Cream, the Lidl supermarket brand.
And since I don’t usually judge a cream by its price (€ 3.49 to be exact), I am going to analyze its ingredients, one by one, to see if it is worth it. Because even if it is cheap, if it does not benefit at all, it is better not to buy it.
And for after reading, I recommend this other analysis of the Best Anti-Wrinkle and Anti-Aging Creams for Men . Especially the part after the analysis of the creams, which explains differences between the skin of men and women (which does not exist at a cosmetic level), how to read an INCI, better ingredients that a cream should have, etc.
Cien Men Anti-Wrinkle Cream Review
Aqua (Water), Cyclopentasiloxane, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Polyacrylate, Isoeicosane, Isododecane, Rosa Moschata Seed Oil, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Polysorbate 20, Trideceth-6, Caprylic / Capric Triglyceride, Bisabolol, Tetrasodium Edlyceride, Crithum-Maritim, Squala Mentimum, Squala Mentimnent Extract, Farnesol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ubiquinone, Linalool, Limonene, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Parfum (Fragrance).
- Cyclopentasiloxane : Analyzed in the anti-wrinkle cream Vita Lift 5 from L’Oreal Men Expert .
- Propylene Glycol : Tested in Shiseido Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream .
- Sodium Polyacrylate : Tested in Clinique For Men wrinkle cream .
- Isoeicosane : It is a hydrocarbon emollient that is often used as a substitute for mineral oil in “oil-free” products. Leaves a satiny feel and texture on skin and hair, and is often used to add shine and silkiness to hair. It is a 100% safe ingredient and there is no research to indicate that isoeicosan produces negative side effects.
- Isododecane : Tested in the Clinique Smart eye contour .
- Rosa Moschata Seed Oil : Commonly known as rosehip, from which the precious rosehip seed oil is extracted. This odorless, yellow-hued oil is considered a very high-quality oil. Rich in antioxidants, it is composed of vitamins A and E, helping to fight free radical damage and promote the growth of new cells. It is also composed of an exceptionally high amount of linoleic and linolenic essential fatty acids, which strengthen the elasticity of the skin and keep it well nourished.
- Hydrogenated Polydecene : Tested on Shiseido’s Benefiance WrinkleResist24 contour .
- Polysorbate 20 : Tested on the Clinique Smart contour .
- Trideceth-6 : It is the polyethylene glycol ether (PEG) of tridecyl alcohol, which is seen in a variety of cosmetics and personal care products as surfactant and emulsifier. PEGs are controversial ingredients in cosmetics and beauty products, in part due to their ability to penetrate the skin and be absorbed by the body, or to aid other chemicals and ingredients in absorption. Low molecular weight PEGs are minimally absorbed, while high molecular weight PEGs cannot be absorbed. Therefore, Trideceth-6 can be absorbed through the skin due to its low molecular weight. PEGs are not considered an irritant or sensitizer, but should not be used on damaged or irritated skin.
- Caprylic / Capric Triglyceride : Tested in Clarins Men Anti-Wrinkle Cream .
- Bisabolol : Analyzed in the Lancaster Skin Therapy eye contour .
- Tetrasodium Edta : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men as Disodium Edta.
- L-Menthol : Derived from peppermint, menthol can have the same sensitizing effect as peppermint on the skin. Despite its ability to sensitize the skin, menthol is included in a surprisingly large number of products as a fragrance ingredient. Unfortunately, the icy, refreshing sensation that menthol causes is direct evidence that the skin is being sensitized, not soothed.
- Squalane : Tested in Clinique for Men wrinkle cream .
- Crithmum Maritimum Extract : Sea fennel extract that promotes anti-aging and radiance of the skin. The secret of this plant is that it is rich in minerals and vitamins A, C and E, giving it antioxidant, conditioning and soothing properties that help improve luminosity and tone. Simply put, sea fennel extract energizes and rejuvenates your skin.
- Farnesol : A plant extract that is used in cosmetics mainly as a fragrance ingredient. It may have some antioxidant properties, but there is no research to show that it has any benefit on the skin.
- Diazolidinyl Urea : Analyzed in Mercadona’s Sisbela eye contour .
- Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate : IPCB is a water-based preservative, and an effective fungicide and bactericide in very low concentrations, used to prevent biological contamination of products. It was approved in 1996 for topical cosmetic use in concentrations up to 0.1%, but is generally only between 0.01 and 0.02%. Use is restricted in some countries due to levels of inhalation toxicity and contact allergens. Human-based studies have shown that IPBC is minimally irritating when applied topically, and the irritation that occurs quickly stops after the use of the IPBC-containing product is discontinued.
- Tocopheryl Acetate : Analyzed in ClarinsMen’s wrinkle cream as Tocopherol Acetate.
- Ubiquinone: Ubiquinone is another name for Coenzyme Q10, a powerful antioxidant produced naturally by the body. Ubiquinone naturally declines with aging, and is used in cosmetics and personal care products as an anti-aging ingredient that replaces some of the natural antioxidants produced by the body. When applied topically, ubiquinone is believed to easily penetrate the skin and reduce free radical damage through its antioxidant properties. It has also been found to help cells develop collagen and elastin, thereby reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Ubiquinone also has properties that allow it to prevent or reduce oxidative damage to tissues, and it may be more effective than vitamin E in preventing this damage.
- Linalool : Analyzed in ClarinsMen’s anti-wrinkle cream .
- Limonene : Tested in ClarinsMe No.
- Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone : Analyzed in ClarinsMen’s anti-wrinkle cream .
- Parfum (Fragrance) .
Summary Analysis of Cien Men Anti-Wrinkle Cream
We got off to a bad start, the first 3 ingredients on the list are a silicone, an irritating solvent, and a potentially toxic thickener. This means that the ingredients with the highest proportion on the list are not recommended to have on the skin.
Later we also find a PEG, which precisely helps other ingredients to be absorbed, although in this case it is preferable that they are not absorbed.
And there are still 3 more ingredients, one irritant, another sensitizing and another allergen. So I would not recommend this cream, especially for sensitive skin.
Although it has several antioxidants, only musket rose oil is high enough to do its job properly. Squalane, sea fennel, vitamin E and Coenzyme Q10, recommended ingredients in an anti-wrinkle cream, have too low proportions.
Its price is not less than € 4 like that of the Cien Men brand, but the Nezeni Cosmetics anti-aging cream is composed of several ingredients that prevent and treat wrinkles, in very good proportions. If you want your wrinkle cream to take effect, switch to this one.
Kathie Sand always saw the world of beauty as the terrain on which to build her professional career, a goal that was clear to her when she was only 15 years old. Her great concern to expand knowledge led her to settle in Paris where she studied hand in hand with the best beauty professionals and with the most advanced techniques for skin care.