Working with the skin’s night-time regeneration process, Age Smart Serum increases the effectiveness of this natural repair to delay skin aging time.
Part of Dermalogica’s Age Smart line, it uses advanced technology and a unique blend of peptides working to control the biochemical triggers that cause genetic and intrinsic aging .
The serum contains an impressive blend of essential oils, hyaluronic acid, and peptides to protect, maintain and stimulate collagen stores and minimize fine lines, dryness, and loss of elasticity while you sleep.
Rosehip seed oil enriched with vitamin C helps reduce the signs of aging, while oils of jasmine, ylang ylang, geranium, rosemary, cinnamon, and neroli help soothe, repair and strengthen the integrity of the skin.
Overnight Repair Serum is also infused with antioxidant sunflower oil, rose oil, and argan oil to protect skin from free radicals while softening and nourishing dry, dull skin.
Jasmine, cloves and rosewood regulate oil production for a more balanced complexion.
Suitable for all skin types, Dermalogica Serum is the perfect way to enhance the skin’s natural repair and defense system . With regular use, it manages to restore the shine and youth of mature skin.
This treatment is preventive and corrective to maintain a more radiant appearance. Wrinkles, fine lines, dryness, age spots, and loss of elasticity are treated and improved with this anti-aging serum.
Most of the compounds in the formula are disclosed, but let’s see what concentrations they are in, and if there are any ingredients that the brand forgot to mention.
And if you are looking for a serum that helps you fight the signs of aging, do not miss our article with the Best Serums for Women of 60 years , in which you have a complete analysis of the 6 best options.
Dermalogica Age Smart Overnight Repair Serum Analysis
- Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil : Tested in Shiseido Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil : Analyzed in the Nutreplus Triple Action eye contour .
- Rosa Moschata Seed Oil : Analyzed in Cien Men’s anti-wrinkle cream .
- Portulaca Pilosa Extract : Portulaca Pilosa flower extract, full of vitamins and antioxidants that can enhance your beauty routine. It has anti-inflammatory, soothing and anti-irritant properties, being excellent for treating psoriasis and dermatitis. The antioxidants in the plant -vitamins C and E- give its extract the ability to repair damage to cells, fighting premature aging. It contains more vitamin A than spinach, and it also has beta carotene – 6 times more than a carrot! The extract is effective in regenerating the skin, as it is rich in glutathione and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Sucrose Cocoate : Analyzed in L’Oreal Triple Activa moisturizing cream .
- Palmitoyl Tripeptide-38 : Tested in Isdinceutics AGE Reverse cream from Isdin .
- Jasminum Officinale (Jasmine) Oil : Analyzed in the Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Eye eye contour .
- Alaria Esculenta Extract: Extract of Alaria Esculenta, an oil from a species of brown algae whose extract provides a variety of known anti-aging benefits. It is rich in amino acids, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Research has shown that Alaria extract can help promote the health and appearance of the skin by stimulating the synthesis of hyaluronic acid, supporting the skin’s barrier function, and improving skin hydration levels. Additionally, Alaria Esculenta extract is known to help preserve skin flexibility and elasticity by reducing the activity of collagenase and elastase (the enzymes that break down collagen and elastin). Finally, it is a powerful antioxidant, important to protect the skin against oxidative stress. It also contains Omega 3, 6 and 9,phytosterols that stimulate and help maintain intercellular communication. Detoxifies and energizes the skin, stimulates the production of collagen and elastin. Excellent for tired, mature or dull skin.
- Cananga Odorata Flower Oil : Ylang Ylang Oil, a fragrance ingredient derived from the distillation of the flowers of the Cananga Odorata plant. Its delicate scent is described as rich and deep with notes of gum and custard, bright with hints of jasmine and neroli and fresh, floral, sweet, slightly fruity. It is sometimes considered a skin conditioning agent. However, Ylang Ylang is considered a skin irritant, based on animal studies that showed skin irritation at moderate doses.
- Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil : Analyzed in PCA Skin’s ExLinea Peptide Smoothing Serum .
- Eugenia Caryophylus (Clove) Flower Oil : Tested in Eve Lom’s cleanser .
- Pelargonium Graveolens oil : Analyzed in the Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Eye eye contour .
- Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil : Analyzed in Vichy Homme LiftActiv anti-wrinkle cream for men .
- Rose Flower Oil : Analyzed in the Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Eye eye contour .
- Geranium Maculatum Oil : Tested in TruSkin Naturals Men’s Vitamin C Serum .
- Citrus Aurantium Bergamia : Analyzed in Dr. Dennis Gross’s Ferulic + Retinol Serum .
- Ocimum Basilicum (Basil) Oil : Basil oil, which is used in natural skin care products as a refreshing tonic that produces a sensation of heat and cold when applied to the skin. Basil oil is considered a “detoxifier” as it stimulates slow, congested skin circulation and can be used for acne and minor skin infections. It also has an antiseptic value and neutralizes toxins from bites and stings.
- Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Oil : Lemongrass oil. It is mainly used as a tonic and fragrance additive in cosmetic products. Its antibacterial and antifungal properties make it an excellent option for oilier skin types. More than anything, it is used to add a lemon scent, not only in skin care formulations, but also in other items such as soap, candles, and incense sticks. However, it has been known to irritate the skin of some individuals, particularly those with allergies to lemongrass.
- Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil : Analyzed in Vichy Homme LiftActiv anti-wrinkle cream for men .
- Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil : Analyzed in REN’s Bio Retinoid cream .
- Murraya Koenigii Leaf Oil : Oil from the leaves of the curry tree. It is used as a natural antimicrobial and antioxidant agent that helps protect the skin from the sun’s rays.
- Cinnamomum Zeylanicum (Cinnamon) Leaf Oil : Tested in Night Recovery Serum from Monroe London .
- Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil : Analyzed in Weleda’s Regenerating Pomegranate Hand Cream .
- Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract : Analyzed in Decleor’s Harmonie Calm eye contour .
- Caprylic / Capric Triglyceride : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Citronellol : Tested in Shiseido Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Eugenol : Analyzed in Collistar’s Hyaluronic Acid Aquagel cream .
- Limonene : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Geraniol : Analyzed in Decleor’s Harmonie Calm eye contour .
- Linalool : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Benzyl Benzoate : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Benzyl Salicylate : Analyzed in Collistar’s Hyaluronic Acid Aquagel cream .
- Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Sorbitan Isostearate : Analyzed in the Premier Cru Serum de Caudalíe serum .
Dermalogica Age Smart Overnight Repair Serum review summary
The first thing that catches the attention of the Dermalogica serum is the litany of fragrant vegetable oils it includes, although if you know the brand a little, this detail is not so surprising.
The problem is that research has shown that many of them are problematic for the skin. Jasmine, rosewood, and lemon oils don’t hydrate the skin any more than a martini helps rehydrate the body or quench thirst.
And many of them, like Ylang Ylang oil or lemongrass oil, have compounds that potentially irritate the skin, and not just the sensitive one.
Beyond those specific scented vegetable oils, there are some that are beneficial for the skin, such as argan oil, vitamin E, and essential fatty acids , which help restore the weakened barrier layer, lock in moisture, and increase elasticity. of the skin.
The oil carrot seed is rich in vitamin A and protects the skin from sun damage. And the classic Rosehip Oil , which helps minimize discoloration while working to stimulate cell renewal.
Ironically, the first two ingredients in this serum (sunflower and argan oils) would have been much better on their own.
And among all these oils, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-38 (known as Matrixyl) and Alaria extract stand out, which help increase collagen renewal, hydration, firmness and dermal strength.
Although AGE Smart Overnight Repair Serum manages to hydrate, nourish and restore skin while you sleep to smooth fine lines and improve elasticity, it does so at a very high price: irritation.
The brand recommends this product for all ages, genders and skin types. However, Overnight Repair Serum is best for mature skin that already have signs of aging or want to prevent fine lines and wrinkles before they appear.
It should be applied at night, after cleansing, using 4-6 drops directly on the skin, or mixing it with a night treatment cream.
If irritation is a problem for you, I suggest you look for another option to take care of your skin. One that respects all skin, even the most sensitive, is the Nezeni Cosmetics serum.
It provides great anti-aging benefits thanks to its powerful ingredients, such as Cobiolift (a quinoa extract), the antioxidant vitamin C and hyaluronic acid.
Kathie Sand always saw the world of beauty as the terrain on which to build her professional career, a goal that was clear to her when she was only 15 years old. Her great concern to expand knowledge led her to settle in Paris where she studied hand in hand with the best beauty professionals and with the most advanced techniques for skin care.