Red clay is one of the most widely used clays on a cosmetic level , because it is one of the most widely available anywhere in the world. Not only is it used to make any type of handicraft, it also contains a host of benefits and properties that are great for skin.
One of the great advantages that red clay has is that it produces heat only when it comes into contact with the skin , this makes the effects on it much more efficient, since the heat concentrates the effects and makes them more direct against the body. .
Origin of red clay
This is formed over time, separates from the rocks of origin and sediments , they usually have very different colors at the beginning in which red stands out. As it is so plastic it is very easy to work with. It can usually be found in Cornwall – England, Meissen in Germany, Limoges in France, and in Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina in the United States.
The amount of clay that comes out of each of the rocks makes it possible to make all kinds of therapeutic cosmetics to improve different conditions of the body and skin. Currently various places are known with these rocks that have the ability to provide this clay.
What are other names for red clay?
Because red clay is not only used for cosmetic purposes but also to create all kinds of handicrafts, it can also be found as pottery clay or earthenware clay.
In some stores it is usually called terracotta clay , this because in most countries these have artisanal purposes, which allows creating a large number of objects for daily use. In very few places this type of clay is called marl.
Composition of red clay
Red clay has the following components:
- Calcium: this is very good for the bones and to prevent anemia, it allows a good blood clot and eliminates certain problems that can occur in the nervous system.
- Silica: can fight arteriosclerosis, and improves recovery in cases of sprains and fractures. Improves elasticity in the body and helps the respiratory, vascular and nervous system to function properly.
- Magnesium: allows to increase the defenses and prevent aging, it works as a general tonic and a cellular vitalizer for the skin.
Characteristics of red clay
Its characteristic reddish color is due to the iron and copper oxides it contains. It is usually one of the most used in the aesthetic area and one of the clays that has been obtained much more easily for many years.
This particular clay does not have a characteristic odor , normally it has a neutral odor, something like the common clay that can be found in the market, despite its color and its high amount of iron, the smell that these can normally have does not stand out.
Benefits and properties of red clay
Red clay has the ability to considerably improve circulation . It causes the body to send more blood to certain areas of the body that need it. It is usually used regularly in physical therapy. With a heat bath you can relax the muscles and help heal pathologies.
These are some of the properties and uses it has:
- It is used in physiotherapy.
- Heals chronic muscle injuries.
- Relief inflammations.
- It works as an effective pain reliever.
- Revitalizes dull and colorless skin.
- It works like a mask for hot baths.
- It is antiseptic and antimicrobial.
- It is an astringent.
- It is an anti-inflammatory agent.
- It can work as a decongestant.
- Eliminates fluid retention from various areas of the body.
Do not miss this article Lymphatic Drainage in the Legs: Contraindications, Risks, Benefits and how to do it
What are the benefits for skin and stretch marks?
On the skin, red clay has the ability to revitalize and soften it . Only by mixing with a little water you can apply a mask on the skin so that it can act on it for about 20 minutes.
It will regenerate the skin and make it become much smoother, thus eliminating the stretch marks that can normally appear over the years, with weight gain or with the changes that puberty brings to the skin.
Making a mask to keep skin hydrated is quite simple, it is necessary to use the following steps:
- Mixing clay with a little water or vegetable or essential oils, in this way you can increase its properties and virtues.
- The mixture should be stirred until it is a homogeneous paste.
- Before applying this mask it is necessary to have clean skin. It can be applied by hand or with a brush for the face.
- It should not be close to the mucous membranes or the eyes as this can irritate the area.
- It should not be allowed to dry completely, once you notice that the clay begins to dry, it must be removed with plenty of water from the face.
- Then if you want you should apply a little moisturizer on the skin. It is important that it is applied all over the skin and that it is applied perfectly wet, as this is when the clay works effectively.
- This mask should be repeated at least 2 times a week.
Red clay is good for losing weight
Making a clay mask with water is quite good, it is added on the belly and you wait a while for this clay to act. In the same way , heat baths with clay can be used .
A bathtub must be filled with hot water , apart in a container two tablespoons of red clay are mixed with centella vegetable oil until a kind of cream is obtained. Add two drops of clove essential oil and two drops of lavender oil.
Once you are in the bathtub and soak your body, apply the mask over the entire area, then go back into the bathtub for about 10 minutes. At the end you can rinse. This will not only help reduce sizes, but also revitalize the skin and improve circulation .
You may also be interested in Do you have Dry and Sensitive Skin? Learn the Causes and Treat it!
Clay is one of the best natural options that can be used to treat hair. This can remove the residues that may exist on the scalp. It also makes it look much stronger and healthier .
It can treat dandruff problems , hair loss and improve hydration. It is necessary that if it is used not regularly, this can affect hydration and damage keratin treatments. Red clay in particular has the ability to color blonde hair.
Preparing a clay shampoo is quite simple, you should add about 5 tablespoons of clay in a container and then add mineral water until there is a smooth consistency, it should not be so liquid but not so thick .
Once you have damp hair, you should apply the mask with the help of a brush then with a few circular movements massage the scalp. Let it rest for about 20 minutes with warm water. You should not rub the hair with the clay, this can damage it, just rub the scalp.
How is it used for osteoarthritis and arthritis?
For osteoarthritis or arthritis it is good to use a clay bandage or patch , this can be easily prepared, you must prepare the mixture with clay and water in a container. In case of increasing the power of it, you can add herbal oil or chamomile. Also if you want you can add arnica to calm the pain.
When the mixture is ready, it should be applied to the affected area , then with kitchen paper or something similar, the entire area should be covered. Then it is covered again with a thin bandage with a cloth, nothing tight should be something loose.
You should wait for about 3 hours , in case the pain is really strong you can rest for the whole night and remove it in the morning. This type of treatment should last about 5 days and expect results.
We recommend reading the following for more information Treatments with Hyaluronic Acid in Knees with Arthritis and Chondromalacia
Where to buy the best red clay
We know that it is not always easy to find all the products in stores close to home or we cannot trust what they sell in large supermarkets, so that is why I recommend buying directly from the seller through Amazon for example, here I put the best red clay marks:
- FINE CLAY 1Kg RED
- Fine Red Clay 1 kg from Soria Natural
- Balla – Organic red clay powder 100 G
- Ghassoul (Rhassoul) Clay – 1Kg
Pregnancy and red clay
During pregnancy, the mother can make any type of mask with the red clay, all this to prevent any type of skin problems that usually appear as a result of pregnancy, such as stretch marks, and some mild acne that usually appears on the face .
In the same way it can be applied on the legs , it is known that red clay improves circulation considerably, a hot bath with this clay will provide both the mother and the baby with better circulation, avoiding any type of swelling in the feet and legs.
What are the benefits for babies?
This type of clay is not normally used in babies , although it does not have a serious effect on them, it is very rare when it is used. However, for circulation problems it can be used, as well as to help keep the skin much healthier.
When they are small they usually present some mild acne, a small application of this mask can help them to eliminate those skin eruptions . However, it is best to consult a doctor before applying it to children.
Can it be used while breastfeeding? Why?
Red clay during breastfeeding does not affect the baby , the mother can continue to use it as long as it is not just before breastfeeding the baby. It can be placed on the breasts to improve circulation.
It is known that due to the production of milk this can make them a bit tense and painful, the clay can alleviate this problem a bit with a mask. Again you should avoid doing it when the baby is about to eat , much less applying it on the nipples.
We recommend you read this related topic Nipple Pain: Treatments, Causes and Types
Cosmetic properties of red clay
Red clay has a lot of benefits for cosmetic uses, here are some of them:
- It is used on sensitive and delicate skin.
- Tones and vitalizes the skin.
- Fight acne.
- It is an excellent exfoliator.
- Eliminate blackheads and pimples.
- Improves hair, making it stronger.
- Cleanses the skin and regenerates cells.
- Fight cellulite and varicose veins.
- Delays aging.
- It works like a natural filter.
- Relieve the stress.
- Heals various skin diseases.
Red clay mask for acne
Clay can remove dead skin cells, and kill acne-causing bacteria . To combat all this, a mixture of filtered water and clay must be created, mixing until a homogeneous cream is produced.
Apply to the face and let it rest for about 15 minutes . Rinse and repeat the treatment about three times a week, after a month you will begin to notice the results on the skin affected by acne.
Here you can buy it already formulated:
- Ecological Absorbent Mask with Red Clay. 200g – Eliminate blackheads and pimples Acne Great absorbent and healing power. Astringents (close pores).
- L’Oréal Paris Pure Red Clay Exfoliating Cleansing Gel
Is red clay toxic?
Generally, there has not been any kind of warning about this clay , it is recommended that it not be ingested and that it be kept away from the mucous membranes and the eyes. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with your health.
It is necessary to know where the clay comes from, many times it is fraudulently linked with other types of products, this can cause skin problems and create a large number of dangerous allergic reactions. Some of these can seriously hurt the skin, causing irritations and severe rashes.
Side effects of red clay
In the case of sensitive skin some type of irritation may occur , it is recommended to use moisturizers to combat these effects. You must take into account each of the components that this clay has and ensure that you are not allergic to any of them.
It is not recommended to apply this type of clay on oily skin , as this can increase the amount of sebum in the follicles, it is really better for dry and wrinkled skin, as it hydrates and softens it.
Learn more about How to Take Care of Oily Skin and Large Pores
Resources on types of clay for the reader
- Green Clay: Side Effects, Benefits and Properties
- White clay or kaolin: Side Effects, Toxicity, Benefits and Properties
- Pink Clay: Side Effects, Properties and Benefits
- Blue Clay: Contraindications, Benefits and Properties
- Clay Therapy: Hair Arcillotherapy
- Clay and its Benefits for Skin and Hair
- Bentonite Clay: Toxicity, Properties and Uses
Kathie Sand always saw the world of beauty as the terrain on which to build her professional career, a goal that was clear to her when she was only 15 years old. Her great concern to expand knowledge led her to settle in Paris where she studied hand in hand with the best beauty professionals and with the most advanced techniques for skin care.