Tatcha continues the success of her Violet-C Radiance mask with a powerful serum called Violet-C Brightening Serum.
Your best asset? Features Vitamin C, Japanese Angelica Root, Fruit-derived AHAs, and Japanese Beauty Berries (containing antioxidants and stabilized vitamin C) for a visibly radiant complexion.
For starters, it’s 20 percent vitamin C , so it’s super-concentrated for maximum potency.
Not only that, but the vitamin C used in the serum is stabilized with antioxidant-rich Japanese berries – meaning it won’t lose efficacy over time, like some vitamin C serums – and is formulated with both water-soluble varieties. as in oil for rapid absorption and a greater lightening effect over time.
With night use, it promises to increase protection against aging , free radicals, UV rays, and everything else that aims to remove the natural glow from your skin.
As a bonus, it relies on an impressive 10 percent exfoliating AHAs so your skin gradually renews itself without any irritation.
And to treat dark spots, Tatcha has added a new ingredient called Angelica Root, which diffuses hyperpigmentation below the skin’s surface.
The result? A smoother, smoother, brighter, more radiant and even complexion, all without the use of strong acids, skin-lightening ingredients, or retinol. There is not much more you could ask for from a serum.
And if not, take a look at our article with The Best Serums for Women of 40 years , where we explain all the needs that this skin has, and the best cosmetics to treat it.
Tatcha’s Violet-C Illuminating Serum Review
- Bis-Glyceryl Ascorbate : A derivative of vitamin C that serves as an antioxidant in skin care products.
- Saccharomyces / Camellia Sinensis Leaf / Cladosiphon Okamuranus / Rice Ferment Filtrate : Also called Hadasei-3, it is the superfluid of the three essential nutrients from Japan, Green Tea, Rice and Seaweed. Liquid is made by fermentation and the basic idea behind any fermented ingredient is that the fermentation process helps break down complex biomolecules in plants and helps isolate beneficial skin components.
The seaweed component is said to aid in hydration of the skin, while rice provides high protein nutrition and green tea is indeed an excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory ingredient.
- Propanediol : Tested in the Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye contour .
- Butylene Glycol : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Glycerin : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate : Tested in Fiori di Cipria’s anti-wrinkle cream for men as Ascorbyl Palmitate.
- Angelica Acutiloba Root Extract: Root extract of the Angelica Acutiloba plant, also called Dang Gui. It contains nutrients, such as antioxidants -polyphenols and flavonoids-, vitamins, valeric acid, volatile oils and many others, which are useful for the natural treatment of various skin conditions. In particular, the effects it has to promote collagen synthesis and inhibit collagen degradation in skin fibroblasts are interesting. Its antioxidant activity is quite good, and it can significantly increase the production of type I procollagen by fibroblasts, as well as reduce the metalloproteinase-1 (MMP-1) induced by ultraviolet rays. In summary, this extract can be a potentially effective agent for the prevention or relief of the formation of wrinkles on the skin induced by ultraviolet rays.
- Callicarpa Japonica Fruit Extract : Callicarpa Japonica berry extract, a super fruit brimming with antioxidants, has the power to substantially reduce UV-induced Stem Cell Factor (CFS) expression. Studies on the formation of dark spots have revealed the key role of SCF, whose expression is stimulated by UV exposure. SCF tends to naturally promote melanogenesis. In addition, it has the property of protecting vitamin C and can thus maximize the potential of its lightening properties.
- Prunus Mume Fruit Extract : The Japanese plum or “Ume” (Prunus Mume) is a fruit traditionally consumed dry and salty as Umeboshi. The health effects of this strong-tasting Japanese product have been well known for centuries. The nutritional values of Ume are exceptional compared to other fruits: it contains large amounts of proteins and minerals such as calcium, potassium, phosphorus and iron, but also vitamin A – B 1 – B 2 – C. In addition, Ume contains a specific component, Lyoniresinol. The expected effects of this traditional fruit are the improvement of the skin’s barrier functions and hydration.
- Crataegus Cuneata Fruit Extract : Crataegus Cuneata fruit extracts have shown antioxidant properties by effectively removing superoxide anion and hydroxyl free radicals produced by oxidative stress.
- Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract : Analyzed in Bioderma Hydrabio moisturizer .
- Citrus Paradisi (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract : Tested in Eve Lom’s Time Retreat Radiance Boost Treatment Cream .
- Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Juice : Analyzed in Vichy Homme LiftActiv anti-wrinkle cream for men .
- Citrus Limon (Lemon) Juice : Packed with vitamin C, lemons are high in antioxidants. They have also been shown to brighten and even skin tone. By inhibiting tyrosinase production, lemon can help with unsightly dark circles or dark spots on the skin.
- Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Juice : Lime juice is used in skin care products for its antioxidant and enzymatic properties. Limes are tropical citrus fruits that have a tangy taste and are rich in vitamin C. Lime juice lifts dead skin cells, revealing shiny, smooth and toned skin. It also offers a stimulating and rejuvenating fragrance.
- Glycyrrhiza glabra (Licorice) Root Extract : Analyzed in Serum Perfectionist CP + R of Estee Lauder .
- Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract : Analyzed in the Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye contour .
- Artemisia Capillaris Flower Extract : The content of six compounds (chlorogenic acid, caffeic acid, isochlorogenic acid A, hyperoside, isoquercitrin and scoparone) in the extract of Artemisia Capillaris flowers have an anti-inflammatory effect that reduces dermatitis, and antimicrobial properties to fight against acne.
- Morus Alba Root Extract : Analyzed in the Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye contour as Morus Bombycis (Mulberry) Root Extract.
- Ziziphus Jujuba Fruit Extract : Analyzed in REN’s Bio Retinoid Anti-Aging Cream .
- Sodium Hyaluronate : Analyzed in Nezeni Cosmetics anti-wrinkle cream .
- Lactic Acid : Analyzed in the Lancaster Skin Therapy eye contour .
- Sodium Citrate : Tested in L’Oréal Men Expert’s Vita Lift 5 anti-wrinkle cream for men .
- Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate : Tested in Kanebo’s Sensai Ultimate The Concentrate Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate / Carboxyethyl Acrylate Crosspolymer : Also known as Aristoflex TAC, it is a synthetic polymer used as a fluid modifier for surfactant systems. Its function is to easily suspend particles, such as beads, pearlizers, organic and inorganic pigments, zinc pyrithione, oil droplets and air bubbles in a formulation.
- Disodium Edta : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Ppg-6-Decyltetradeceth-30 : Analyzed in Biotherm’s Biosource Toner .
- Ethylhexylglycerin : Analyzed in Nezeni Cosmetics anti-wrinkle cream .
- Phenoxyethanol : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
Summary of Tatcha’s Violet-C Illuminating Serum
One of the only anti-aging ingredients that are considered truly effective is vitamin C.
It can nullify the damage of free radicals – those wandering molecules that can age skin more quickly after being triggered by the sun and stress – and it’s also good at brightening the skin by blocking blemish-causing processes between its cells. Bottom line: it is highly recommended.
But, like many of the top performers, vitamin C is a delicate ingredient that only works when formulated with care.
Intended to be used at night to stay powerful, Tatcha Serum has two different types of vitamin C in high concentrations, plus other antioxidants extracted from Asian plants and alpha hydroxy acids that make skin look super radiant while you sleep.
It is like a sunrise for your skin.
Here’s how it works: To remove dark spots and brighten the complexion, this serum uses fruit-derived acids to dissolve the top layer of skin. It also uses licorice extracts to create that effect.
As for the smoothing effect, it is to be appreciated the angelica extract, which reduces lines, and the hydrating hyaluronic acid -presented in a low concentration-.
But not everything is good. We don’t like that there is a skin and eye irritant ingredient at the top of the list, nor are we excited about the preservatives it includes.
It is not an instant results product. It requires dedication and daily use. And although the results are gradual, they are quite good.
Everything in this serum is thought out, from the design of the container with a gradient that goes from pink to orange simulating a sunset, to its texture similar to water.
When you apply it to your face and neck, you immediately notice how the liquid is immediately absorbed into the skin.
And although the next morning you will not notice any change, nor the next day, the magic will begin to manifest after a few weeks of use.
The dark spots – derived from the sun or acne scars – will begin to disappear, giving way to skin with a more even tone, more radiant, and much smoother.
Although it is a pretty good product, it is not the best we have found. We like more the option that Nezeni Cosmetics presents us, which also includes a high concentration of vitamin C and hyaluronic acid, as well as a natural anti-wrinkle compound.
But the best of all is that it has no irritating ingredients and very low level of preservatives, which avoids causing any damage to the skin.
Kathie Sand always saw the world of beauty as the terrain on which to build her professional career, a goal that was clear to her when she was only 15 years old. Her great concern to expand knowledge led her to settle in Paris where she studied hand in hand with the best beauty professionals and with the most advanced techniques for skin care.