Our skin is exposed to the sun, wind, pollution and dust on a daily basis. With this, the skin loses shine and beauty – and that is where the aging traits begin to appear. So that the skin is always beautiful and well treated, one of the basic care of the face is cleaning.
Washing your face is one of the simplest and most efficient beauty tips, suitable for any type of skin, especially oily skin.
The purpose of washing your face is to unclog pores, dissolve dirt and makeup, and remove excess oil . It is also a good opportunity to remove dead skin cells with a gentle exfoliation. On the other hand, with clean skin the treatments – such as hydration and protection – are more efficient, since they penetrate the skin more easily.
Many think that cleaning the skin is silly, but with clean skin the formation of blackheads and pimples is avoided , so remember that you must use specific products for the face.
Tips for efficient cleaning
- Wash your face at least 2 times a day ; more than this is not necessary. Unless you’ve exposed your skin to excessive dust or dirt contamination, cleaning twice a day is more than enough for any skin type.
- Cleaning the face very often removes valuable natural oils from the skin.
- Ideally, you should wash your face at least after waking up and before going to bed. Bedtime is very important because if you lie down with a dirty face, it can clog your pores and cause pimples and blackheads.
- Choose a cleanser that is appropriate for your skin type. Don’t use regular soap on facial skin – it can leave your skin hard and dry , causing long-term damage.
- The water temperature should be cold or warm, not too hot.
- Use circular motions to help circulation.
- Rinse well; do not leave traces of the products.
- Wash your hands before cleaning your face, or you will do the service in reverse: instead of cleaning your face, you will deposit more dirt on your skin.
- If you use sponges or cloths, make sure they are clean and soft. They are not necessary for effective cleaning: you can do the same job without damaging or damaging the skin.
- Don’t rub too much. You are doing a simple daily cleaning, not scrubbing your face. This can cause redness of the skin and even internal injuries.
- Apply the cleaning product with your fingers or a soft sponge, using gentle circular motions. Massage up into the face and neck. Never rub too much … gentle touches are enough to help improve circulation and loosen dirt and dead cells from the surface of your skin.
- Rubbing the skin too much can stretch and irritate it, especially in the delicate area around the eyes.
How should the complete cleansing of the skin be?
- First, use a makeup remover, this will help remove thicker dirt, such as makeup. Take a look at this article on how to make your natural makeup remover .
- Begin by applying warm water to your face and neck, without massaging your skin, to prepare your pores to receive cleansing products.
- Wash your face with facial soap.
- Use a facial toner . The toner will help you remove dirt that is in the pores that soap cannot remove. Take a look at this article on how to make your own homemade toner .
- If you can, prefer to use thermal water.
- After cleansing the skin, rinse your face with lukewarm water. Don’t forget to rinse your neck and scalp .
- Gently remove excess water with a soft towel. Don’t rub the dry towel on your skin.
- If you apply nighttime moisturizers, now is the right time because with the skin still damp, the hydration is better fixed on the skin .
You can also include, once a week, cleansing with an exfoliation to remove dead cells.
Now, with clean skin, it is time to nourish and hydrate the skin with your favorite cream.
How to do the hot water steam method at home
This method is simple and inexpensive, and takes no more than 15 minutes.
What you need:
- A heat-resistant container or a large clay pot;
- A towel;
- Hot water;
- Essential oils and some herbs;
How to do it:
Put your face on the bowl and cover yourself with a towel. This will act as a mini steam that will open the pores of the skin . Stay like this for 10 minutes. The muscles and skin of the face relax, and the steam regulates its imperfections.
It is not only the steam that will eliminate the facial impurities that promote the appearance of blackheads, but also the remains of additional treatments of masks and creams.
Tips to improve the steam method:
If you have oily or dry skin, you can do a facial sauna once a week , but if your skin is sensitive, once every 15 days will suffice.
After steaming, it is better to wait an hour before taking in cold air. Your skin will be moist for several minutes and subject to temperature changes.
There are several steam bath recipes for different skin types , here we leave you the other option, which is to add 2 drops of patchouli essential oil or lemon infusion in the hot water to gently unclog the pores.
This technique is not recommended for blemished skin , in fact, the steam helps the blood circulation of the face and is contraindicated for people with pinkish skin, or who suffer from excessive redness.
After hard weeks of intense cold, the skin tears, nothing better than a good steam bath for the face.
Benefits of the hot steam method:
- Acne : Steam is very beneficial for acne prone skin , because it opens the pores and removes dirt and excess oil. Add a few drops of tea tree oil to hot water for stronger results.
- Dry skin: To make the steam suitable for dry skin, add a few drops of lavender oil . Apply a good moisturizer when the skin is still damp to keep it soft and smooth.
- Oily skin: Steam reduces and removes excess sebum from the skin. By adding a few drops of lemon juice or rosewood essential oil to hot water, you can treat unpleasant oily skin problems.
- Sensitive skin: Be careful not to overheat the skin. It is important that you keep the water vapor away and limit your exposure to just 2-3 minutes.
The best soaps to wash the face
Avoid washing your face with ordinary soap , which can cause allergies and dry out your skin. Common soaps are harsher on facial skin, which is more sensitive, and can also cause blackheads and pimples . Try using a soap specific to your skin type. Take a look at some product suggestions.
Cetaphil liquid soap for oily skin
Ideal for sensitive and oily skin, this product removes oil, dirt and makeup without leaving skin dry or tight. It also maintains the pH of the skin, preserving its natural defense. The soap is non-comedogenic, meaning it does not cause pimples . We can find it in the Amazon cosmetics area at the best price.
- Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser For Normal To Oily Skin 235 ml
- Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser, For Normal to Oily Skin, 16.0-oz Bottles (Pack of 2)
Dermotivin Foam Liquid Soap for oily and oily skin
Dermotivin foam soap has been specially developed for oily skin. Reduces excessive oiliness and eliminates impurities, provides visibly cleaner skin, without drying out. It contains glycolic extract of calendula, which has regenerating action, and aloe vera extract , with antiseptic, emollient and soothing action . We can find it in the Amazon cosmetics area at the best price.
- Cetaphil DermaControl Foam Wash, 8 Fluid Ounce (Pack of 2)
ROC pro Cleanse Gentle
This purifying gel has an innovative technology, with a combination of salicylic acid and regulators of sebum formation. This combination is effective for skin imperfections, allowing a cleansing adapted to oily skin . Note: It is ideal for the hygiene of oily or combination skin prone to acne, blackheads, clogged pores . Found on Amazon.
- Roc Pro Cleanse Extra Gentle Wash Off Cleanser 200ml
VICHY Normaderm Soap
Cleanses and purifies oily acne-prone skin. Its formula with salicylic acid, an active exfoliant recognized by dermatologists, allows a purification of the skin and reduces imperfections. Enriched with zinc pidolate, it acts to limit excess oil from the skin. We can find it in the Amazon cosmetics area at the best price.
- VICHY Normaderm Cleansing Facial Gel 3in1 125 ml
Granado sulfur liquid soap
Powerful agent in the treatment of acne prone skin: regulates sebum secretion and reduces excess oil. Its format is practical and facilitates transport and application. With an oil-free formula and natural eucalyptus fragrance, this soap provides freshness and aseptic and drying benefits to the skin, while minimizing the risks of possible allergies.
We have not found it anywhere anymore 🙁
Effaclar cleansing gel, La Roche-Posay
Indications : For the daily cleaning of oily skin prone to acne.
Properties : Gently cleanses the skin. Produces a light foam that is easy to rinse. Improves skin conditions and helps remove excess oil.
Results : A purified and clean skin, perfectly prepared for the application of other products. It is found in the cosmetics of the season.
- La Roche Posay Effaclar Purifying Gel Mousse for Oily Skin – 400 gr
InstaNatural Vitamin C Facial Cleanser
Gentle formula for daily cleansing of sensitive skin . Its composition is ideal for sensitive skin and / or sensitized by dermatological treatments.
Active ingredients : Plant extract with calming properties such as chamomile, aloe vera and bisabolol ( essential oil found in chamomile, has antiseptic action).
- InstaNatural Vitamin C Facial Cleanser
Elizabeth Arden Visible Difference Without Cleansing Oil
Suitable for removing oil. 100% plant-based. Controls excess oil and maintains the natural moisture of the skin. – Colorless gel. – Without oil. – Fragrance. We can find it in the Amazon cosmetics area at the best price.
- Elizabeth Arden Visible Difference Oil Free Cleanser 125ml (Pack of 2)
OZ Naturals Facial Cleanser with Vitamin C
Matifying soap for oily skin with organic zinc . Note : For cleaning oily and acne-prone skin.
Contains : organic salicylic acid + 100% zinc.
Safety : Does not contain parabens. We can find it in the Amazon cosmetics area at the best price.
- OZ Naturals Facial Cleanser
Neutrogena Anti-acne Liquid Soap
Formulated for cleansing and at the same time treating acne-prone skin. It has salicylic acid, which penetrates the pores to help stop the cycle of acne breakouts . It has extracts of aloe vera and chamomile to calm and soften the skin.
- Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Gel Cleanser, 6 Ounce
- There are more neutrogen options here .
Avene Cleanance Gel
Cleansing gel suitable for oily skin prone to acne, regulates sebaceous secretions. Soap-free and with bactericidal properties . We can find it in the Amazon cosmetics area at the best price.
- Avene Cleanance Face and Body Cleansing Gel – 200 gr
Germs can improve skin!
Bacteria, yeasts, fungi, and viruses colonize the skin. Until now, our goal was to eradicate them.
Today, the scientific community encourages us to have good microbes, as these invisible organisms are responsible for the health and beauty of the skin.
Types of microbes
According to our microbiome, we first have to learn to distinguish between good and bad microbes.
These are divided into two groups:
- The resident flora that proliferates in a sustainable way.
Installed microorganisms that live in harmony with the skin and help protect us from attacks, infections and inflammations. In the short term, this flora guarantees the good health of our skin, and in the long term, this is beneficial to maintain youth .
- A balanced flora helps the skin to regenerate better and, therefore, helps against aging.
This flora has a transitory composition that varies with the environment (climate, stress , clothing …). This microflora is also made up of microorganisms, some of which originate from skin diseases: dermatitis, acne , atopic dermatitis or simply hypersensitivity and extreme dryness .
Clean without attacking
Cleaning is essential to remove bacteria. The use of surfactant-based products is not recommended, as these foaming formulas break down the film that connects good microbes.
The skin is fragile and bad germs can take the opportunity to sneak in.
Cleanses the skin gently and without rubbing. Use thermal water, such as Osmopure from Esthederm, and oil-free surfactants, such as XeraCalm AD relipidating oil wash or Avene Surgras gel.
The flora of cosmetology can rebalance the skin to allow a slight return of skin cells and bacteria.
Estee Lauder was the first brand to work around flora with Bifidus Repair Advanced Night Care, with probiotic lactobacilli, responsible for reinforcing existing flora.
These products showed a further improvement in the quality of the skin. In addition to beautifying the skin, the microbiota also alleviates real pathologies, such as atopic skin.
At Avène, the I-Modulia microflora Avène Thermal Spring Water is the heart of the AD XeraCalm range for the face and body, which stimulates the production of antimicrobial peptides and specifically regulates the microbial flora of atopic skin.
A recent study carried out by La Roche-Posay, in particular, shows that the microbiome composition of the skin of patients with atopic dermatitis changes during flare-ups due to an excess of staph in the lesion areas.
It was also found that after three months of application of their Lipikar Baume AP product, the skin condition improved significantly and the skin barrier was restored, showing that the microbiome rebalances.
We all know that beautiful skin is primarily healthy and clean skin.
Even with cleansing care in the morning and evening, the skin stores a large amount of dead cells, dust, nicotine, and pollution. Therefore, it is necessary to clean once a week in depth.
Hot steam, also called a facial sauna, is the use of steam to open the pores on the face and facilitate the removal of impurities.
This is an important step in routine skin care.
Kathie Sand always saw the world of beauty as the terrain on which to build her professional career, a goal that was clear to her when she was only 15 years old. Her great concern to expand knowledge led her to settle in Paris where she studied hand in hand with the best beauty professionals and with the most advanced techniques for skin care.