To have an optimal state of health in the hair we must apply certain treatments to guarantee its good condition. In this way, we can find thousands of hair health products on the market, such as toners.
These products can be purchased in a cosmetic store or we can also prepare them ourselves at home.
Below we will explain in detail everything you need to know about hair toners.
What is a hair tonic?
In the first place, a tonic is a substance that can also be known under the name of a toning lotion, which is applied –in this case– to the scalp . The hair tonic acts in a way that gives life to the hair, prevents fragility and brittle hair, as well as prevents hair problems from developing such as alopecia, dandruff, seborrhea, among others …
Learn what it takes to look beautiful by reading about: Acids for the beauty of your skin and hair !!!
Characteristics of a hair tonic
Hair tonics can come under different characteristics. There are some tonics that are prepared without alcohol and with medicinal plants that provide good properties for hair use, these tonics are normally prepared as infusions of these plants.
The natural ingredients that are most used for these organic tonics are : lavender oil for moisturizing treatments and lemon when you want to do an anti-dandruff treatment.
On the other hand there are also tonics that are prepared with alcoholic components , the alcohol in this case is applied to absorb the properties of the natural ingredients and in this way its application is easier.
In a last case, there are also tonics that are prepared only based on essential oils , these are used to massage the hair and thus make it absorb its beneficial properties.
Find out the reasons why I should use Hair Oils?
Hair tonic function
The main function of hair toners is to provide vigor to the hair and also to the scalp , so that in this way the hair can be kept in the best possible condition, that is, healthy and strong. The treatments applied with hair tonics are especially to add shine, leave hair silky, provide flexibility and prevent dandruff and hair loss.
For more information, do not miss our articles with 27 Plants to Strengthen Hair and have it Healthier
Hair toners are products that are also applied to make hair combing or brushing easier, that is, to detangle it more easily. There are people who prefer to change the use of toners for gel or styling foam, to which they say that they provide less fat than tonics, however, there are tonics that can be prepared at home especially for oily hair.
Similarly, many people continue to purchase tonics especially to prevent hair loss, since it is the function most needed by thousands of individuals.
This article will surely interest you on How to Comb Frizzy and / or Curly Hair
How is the hair tonic used?
Hair toners should be applied to wet or dry hair as follows :
- Divide your hair into several sections
- Apply the toner to the scalp in the partitions between hair sections
- Massage your hair gently
- Comb the hair as you normally do
Sure you always ask yourself this question, How to strengthen hair? , read our fabulous article and learn how to take care of it
Hair tonic benefits
One of the most important benefits of hair toners, or why people tend to use these products more frequently, is because of their power to prevent hair loss or to treat baldness or alopecia .
In the same way, hair toners can also prevent brittle hair, strengthen hair, nourish, hydrate and provide elasticity . Hair toners should be used after we wash our hair on a daily basis and should be applied to the scalp, separating the hair into sections.
The most favorable tonics to treat baldness are those that are prepared with rosemary , lavender or chamomile . On the other hand, if you want to stimulate hair growth, you should use a tonic that is based on neutral components such as oils and essences.
Tonics are not harmful to health , due to their content of vitamins and minerals and their natural components, these only provide benefits to our hair and scalp. The results of hair tonics can be seen progressively as we constantly apply them.
Hair tonics are capable of making hair grow stronger, since they act from the roots to the ends, and in the case of baldness, they act on the scalp. The proper use of these products can provide us with a great benefit in our hair, we will avoid dandruff, seborrhea, irritation and itching in the hair.
We invite you to read about capillary cauterization with keratin: rebuild your damaged hair
Natural and homemade recipes of various types of hair tonic
When you want to have completely healthy hair, you must be very careful in terms of your cleaning routine, we must use the appropriate products for our hair type , since each type requires a different treatment according to its needs.
The basic procedure that all people use is the application of shampoo and conditioner , but there are extra methods that our hair needs to be able to stay healthy and manageable, one of these methods can undoubtedly be tonics.
Thus, there are several types of tonics that can be purchased in a store or prepared from our home . Below we will point out in detail the best known hair toners and used by all people due to their power and effectiveness.
Learn with us about Almond Oil: Benefits for skin / hair and 19 Incredible Alternative Uses
Anti-hair loss tonic recipe
There are two types of anti-hair loss tonics , there are those that prevent our hair from falling excessively and those used in case of baldness. In any case, the tonics that are most beneficial to prevent hair loss are nettle toners and rosemary toners.
These tonics have a great capacity to regenerate the scalp and the power to eliminate and prevent seborrhea and dandruff, because it increases and improves blood circulation in this area, which stimulates the hair.
To prepare this tonic we must follow the following recipe:
- 25 gr of rosemary.
- 25 gr of nettle.
- 200 ml of distilled water.
- 5 drops of alcohol
- 1 Spray bottle.
- Make an infusion with rosemary and nettle, boil this for fifteen minutes.
- Then remove from heat and cover the container with plastic wrap, letting it rest until cool.
- Finally you must strain it, add the alcohol, mix it.
- Store the liquid in the vaporizer container for use whenever you need.
For more information, see our articles on:
- Flutamide: Possible Risks and Help Against Hair Loss
- Saw Palmetto or Saw Palmetto: Contraindications and Benefits for hair loss and prostate hyperplasia
- Telogen Effluvium: Reason for Rapid Hair Loss
Hair tonic recipe to cover gray hair
There are tonics that improve hair coloring naturally , in this way we can avoid having to resort to using dyes full of chemicals that leave our hair lifeless.
The effectiveness of this tonic is determined by the consistency with which you apply the treatment , so you can cover your gray hair naturally. All you have to do is the following:
PREPARATION AND USE
- Boil three cups of water along with four sprigs of rosemary for twenty minutes over low heat, then remove from heat, let the mixture cool and strain. Store the liquid in a spray bottle and apply to the scalp at the time you are going to detangle your hair, use it daily and you can restore the color to your hair.
Recipe to prevent gray hair from tonic
Another option that you can implement is this recipe to prevent the appearance of gray hair:
- Boil three cups of water and add 4 tablespoons of ginger, let it cool and store the mixture in a closed container.
- Take a quarter of this mixture and add it to your shampoo and the rest of the mixture you will apply directly to your hair.
- Let it act for 1 hour and then wash and rinse your hair, use this method 3 times a week.
Natural toner to dye your gray hair
- In a container add 2 cups of boiling water and 2 bags of black tea with 2 + 1/2 tablespoons of ground coffee.
- Mix with a teaspoon and let the liquid sit for fifteen minutes. Then, strain the mixture and place the final result in a spray bottle.
This tonic should be used on clean hair from roots to ends , little by little you can darken your hair naturally. As long as you are consistent with the application.
Homemade and Natural Tonic with cinchona and rosemary
Cinchona is a very beneficial plant for the treatment of hair loss , in the same way that rosemary can be used to enhance hair growth. Therefore, a tonic prepared based on these two ingredients is the perfect solution to increase volume and prevent hair loss.
To prepare this remedy, what you should do is the following : make a mixture with distilled water, 30 ° alcohol (it can be brandy), rosemary oil and cinchona leaves. Mix everything in a container and let it marinate for a few days. Then it will be ready for you to apply it on your hair.
If you want more information look at these articles
- Treatments to Care for each type of Hair at Home
- Rosemary Essential Oil: Contraindications, Benefits and for Hair Loss
Homemade hair tonic with cayenne
The leaves of the cayenne flower are excellent for preparing a tonic that reduces hair loss . This plant can help increase the amount of hair, eliminate dandruff and provide manageability.
This toner must be used after a bath and can be prepared as follows:
- 1/2 cup of boiled water
- 4 cayenne leaves in small pieces
Place the leaves in the water and let them soak overnight. After this time, strain the mixture and use the water to apply to your hair.
It is always important to learn new ways to care for our hair, know everything about Castor Oil to strengthen hair
Natural Nettle Hair Tonic
Nettle is a plant that has long been used to cure excessive hair loss , as well as dandruff and itchiness caused by irritations. The nettle tonic is very simple to prepare, we can do this with the root, although if we do not have this part of the plant, we can use the dried or fresh leaves, as we prefer.
So well, what we will need in addition to the plant, is vodka or an alcohol that is neutral or similar to vodka.
- Clean the root – or the leaves – cut them into small pieces
- Fill a vase with the nettles, fill the container with vodka and close it
- Let this mixture soak for 2 to 4 weeks in a warm place, it does not matter if there is contact with light or not.
- The leaves should always be below the alcohol
- When the maceration time has passed, strain the mixture and store it in a container and keep it away from light and excessive heat for application.
We teach you all the necessary information about the Complete Guide on Hair
Homemade ginger tonic for hair health recipe
Ginger is a product that has many benefits for the hair, it can make the hair stay healthy, strong and carry a good state of health, this thanks to the fact that ginger contains vitamins, minerals, amino acids and antioxidants that act on hair and prevents problems such as dandruff and excessive hair loss from developing.
For more information on Ginger: Contraindications, side effects and slimming and anti-inflammatory properties
A simple way to prepare a ginger tonic is as follows :
- 1 tablespoon ginger juice
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of lemon
- 1 glass bottle with lid
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 garlic mortar
- Clean the ginger root, remove all the skin from the outside
- Cut the ginger into small pieces
- Place the ginger in the mortar and mash until the juice comes out of it. You should get at least two tablespoons of ginger juice
- Then mix this juice with the oil and lemon in a bowl. Close the container and shake the mixture to combine the ingredients.
Wash your hair as you do on a regular basis, use shampoo and plenty of water. Let the hair dry a bit and when it is just a little damp, apply the toner to the scalp and massage gently for at least fifteen minutes.
Let the mixture work for at least thirty minutes and then rinse your hair and warm water again. Repeat this procedure every other day. After a month you will be able to notice the results clearly in your hair.
If the tonic causes irritation because you have very fine hair or sensitive skin, you can increase the amount of olive oil , in the same way you can decrease the ginger and reduce the duration of the treatment, that is, leave a longer time between a application and other.
Homemade recipe hair tonic for dandruff
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
PREPARATION AND APPLICATION
With this mixture you should massage your scalp and let it act for ten minutes. Finally, wash your hair with neutral or sulfate-free shampoo and rinse with plenty of cold water.
If you have dry hair you should read this fabulous article with more Natural Remedies for Dandruff
Beard toner home remedy
Men can also find different tonics to apply on the beard and make it grow more abundantly and evenly. In this case we will teach you the homemade way to prepare a beard tonic, all you need is the following:
- 1 spray bottle.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 3 cups of mineral water.
- 1 branch of rosemary.
- 1/2 onion.
- 1 clove garlic.
Add all the ingredients in a container except the honey, place this over low heat to infuse for 15 minutes, then remove from the heat and strain the mixture, let it cool and place it in a container with a vaporizer.
Apply this mixture to the entire beard, leave it on for twenty minutes and then wash it off with cold water. Do this every day.
We teach you all the information you need to learn How to Wash Your Hair Effectively and Easily
Tonic to improve hair growth
You can grow your hair with a simple homemade toner , all you need to do is do the following:
- Massage your hair with a little rosemary essential oil twice a day
You can choose to mix rosemary oil with water and other ingredients that can enhance hair growth.
For more information on Rosemary Essential Oil: Contraindications, Benefits and for Hair Loss
Snail slime hair tonics
Snail slime tonics are mostly commercial products , however, these are based on this ingredient so they are an excellent treatment.
The snail slime is a component that has very good properties for the hair, it contains proteins and polysaccharides that are obtained by feeding the snail.
Snail slime contains a large number of natural components such as allantoin, glycolic acid, collagen , vitamins A and E, elastin and natural antibiotics. These components together provide the hair with an aid in terms of cell regeneration, strengthen the hair root and add a lot of shine to the hair strand.
So well, it is a very good option if you want to acquire a specialized hair tonic, we leave you the best current brands:
- Baba de Caracol regenerative hair treatment, 1094.2 ml
- Halka Baba De Caracol Regenerative Leave-in Conditioner by HALKA BABA de CARACOL
- Baba de Caracol Regenerative Shine Hair Polisher, 5 Ounce by Baba de Caracol
- [MIZON] Snail Repair EX Ampoule / Snail slime ampoule 30ml
Natural toner recipes to darken hair
If you want to darken your hair without altering your own natural color , you can opt for a darkening hair tonic instead of applying dyes full of chemicals , in addition, you can provide good additional benefits to your hair. The options that you can apply are the following:
This plant is excellent for darkening hair.
- Boil a few to make an infusion and use this as a hair tonic after you’ve washed it with your everyday products.
- Let this work for at least half an hour and rinse.
- Perform this treatment once or twice a week and in no time you will be able to notice the difference in your hair color.
This dried fruit has coloring properties, so it can be used to darken hair. What you should do is the following:
- Crush at least 250 grams of walnut shells and cook them for thirty minutes in a liter of water
- Strain the mixture and use it as a tonic after washing your hair, let it sit for a few minutes and rinse with water.
- Repeat the process two or three times a week and you can improve the tone of your hair, especially if it is blonde hair.
We present you an interesting complete guide on Clay and its Benefits for Skin and Hair
Did you know that hair tonic causes allergies, why?
Tonics like any other product can cause problems in our body due to an allergic reaction. In the case of cosmetic products there are many of them that can cause redness, itching and even severe irritation. These symptoms can be temporary and very brief, but they are unavoidable in some people.
Why is this happening?
Simply because each organism operates in a different way, there are more delicate skins than others, these are the most prone to react to certain elements, whether natural or chemical.
Sometimes we should not care if it is the product that everyone uses, the one that is fashionable or the one that smells the best. We must focus on using the one that favors us in the best way, if this product is very strong for our skin –or scalp– we must discard it and look for one that is softer and does not cause us any unfavorable reaction.
Unfortunately the only way to know if we are allergic or not to a product is by using it and experiencing how our body reacts.
Types of allergic reactions of each type of common ingredient in commercial tonics
Only in this way will we be able to know if we are suitable or not for its use, however, there are certain components that are common in terms of allergic reactions in people, that is, there is a considerable number of people who cannot use products that contain certain items , these are as follows.
At least five percent of the population is allergic to this component, it is normally used only in products to remove skin blemishes. May cause redness.
May cause dryness and redness on sensitive skin.
It is found in many hair products and can also cause redness and dryness.
It is a widely used component because it has regenerative powers and stimulates collagen production, but it can cause irritation and dryness.
Almost most products can contain preservatives, especially when they contain water. These are used to prevent the production of bacteria. Although they can cause reactions such as hives and inflammation.
FRAGRANCES AND PERFUMES
Almost all products on the market contain different fragrances, the vast majority of which contain alcohol. These can cause irritation, inflammation and itching in some people.
So, if you have any reaction to these substances, it is best to discard the tonics that you can buy in the market and use a completely natural one, or be attentive to the list of ingredients of the next product that you are going to buy.
What to do if I have an allergy to a hair tonic
In case you experience an allergic reaction when implementing a hair tonic you can follow these indications:
- First check if what you are experiencing is caused by the product, this should be done by placing a minimum amount of the product on the skin of your arm and if during the next 24 hours you do not experience any change, you must rule out the possibility of an allergy.
- Now, if you really do experience an allergic reaction, choose to implement creams that contain cortisone or antihistamine components.
- If the reaction does not subside quickly, see a doctor.
Advantages and disadvantages of using hair tonic
If we use a hair tonic in the correct way we cannot experience any disadvantage , since instead we will be providing our body with a series of benefits such as: strength, nutrition, shine, health, protection against dandruff, seborrhea, we will prevent baldness and we will avoid excessive hair loss.
Tricks to prepare a homemade hair tonic correctly
There are thousands of recipes for preparing hair tonics, since each of the plants that can be beneficial for your hair contain different properties. That is, if we want to prepare a tonic we must first determine for what purpose we are going to do it, since if it is an anti-hair loss tonic we must prepare it with a certain plant, in the same way if it is an anti-dandruff, moisturizing, darkening tonic or hair growth enhancer.
In any case, the only thing you should do after you have chosen the plant of your choice, or rather the one that is close to your need, what you will proceed to do is to prepare an infusion with said plant , you will let it marinate boiling water until cool and you will place it in a spray bottle. This result is what you should apply to your damp hair after washing it.
If you want to make your hair grow you can use rosemary , on the other hand if you want it to grow stronger and healthier use ginger, to prevent hair loss use nettle and to eliminate dandruff use lemon.
If you are curious, see our articles on How to Style Frizzy and / or Curly Hair
Recommendations for using hair tonic
The most recommended to use a hair tonic is the following:
- Apply to damp hair
- Separate the hair into sections , in this way we can be guaranteed that we will apply the tonic all over the scalp
- Use a tonic that adapts to our characteristics or that meets the need that we present
- If your hair is oily, opt for a tonic without many components such as oils
- If your hair is dry, you should use a tonic that gives your hair properties that moisturize it, such as olive oil.
- Perform the treatment with the tonic at least once a week , only being constant is that you can obtain good results
- Try to check the components of the tonic if you are going to buy it in a store, since you should avoid those products that can cause allergic reactions
- When the treatment involves rinsing the hair afterwards , try to do it with cold water , this improves the condition of the scalp .
Learn more about how to keep your hair healthy with the following articles ideal for you:
Kathie Sand always saw the world of beauty as the terrain on which to build her professional career, a goal that was clear to her when she was only 15 years old. Her great concern to expand knowledge led her to settle in Paris where she studied hand in hand with the best beauty professionals and with the most advanced techniques for skin care.