This lightweight serum floods skin with gentle hydration, revitalizing it with marine-derived energy so your skin looks more radiant, healthy and fresh.
A torrent of Miraculous Broth – the healing force that flows through all of La Mer’s products – softens, nourishes, soothes and gives skin the energy it needs to focus on repairing.
This Miraculous Broth is in the heart of La Mer and is present in all the treatments in the collection. The elixir is formulated with hand-harvested seaweed and other nutrients and minerals unlocked through a natural fermentation process.
Supports the five facets of natural healing: hydration, regeneration, smoothness, calm and radiance, which help restore skin to its healthiest state.
The formula combines this proprietary ingredient with Lime Tea Concentrate, a powerful antioxidant that provides a vital defense against external influences that can visibly deplete the complexion.
While the tiny micro-droplets of Deep Hydration Ferment penetrate quickly to bring dry and dehydrated skin back to life.
La Mer serum has a quantity of 30 ml, and its price exceeds € 150. Is it worth this outlay to treat our skin? This is what we are going to check by analyzing its ingredients.
You can see other serums that we have recommended for skin over 40 in the Article of the Best Serums for Women of 40 years .
Analysis The Revitalizing Hydrating Serum de La Mer
- Declustered Water (-) \ Aqua \ Eau De-Structuree (-), Declustered Water (+) \ Aqua \ Eau De-Structuree (+) : Unstructured water, which is water that has been processed into individual molecules that are supposedly more bioavailable (easily absorbed by the body). Confusingly, there is a contradictory theory that “structured water”, grouped in smaller or hexagonal shapes, is more easily absorbed by skin cells. It goes without saying that there is no scientific backing to validate these claims. The water used in cosmetics is purified and deionized (this means that almost all the mineral ions it contains are removed). In this way, the products can remain more stable over time.
- Butylene Glycol : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Glycerin : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Algae (Seaweed) Extract : Analyzed in the Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye contour .
- Bis-Peg-12 Dimethicone : Tested in Clinique Smart eye contour as Peg-10 Dimethicone.
- Hydrogenated Lecithin : Tested in the Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye contour .
- Caprylic / Capric Triglyceride : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men as Caprylic / Capric glycerides.
- Sucrose : Tested in Clinique For Men Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil : Tested in Shiseido Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil : Analyzed in Weleda’s Pomegranate Regenerating Hand Cream .
- Medicago Sativa (Alfalfa) Seed Powder : Tested in SkinCeuticals Refining Night Cream Retinol 0.3 .
- Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seedcake : Tested in Clinique For Men Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Meal : It is a loose yellow or light brown powder with a fresh almond smell derived from almonds. It works as an abrasive or a solvent.
- Eucalyptus Globulus (Eucalyptus) Leaf Oil : Tested in NewPeptin’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Sodium Gluconate : Analyzed in the Nuxellence de Nuxe eye contour .
- Copper Gluconate : Tested in Lancôme Men’s Age Fight Anti-age Perfecting Fluid Cream .
- Calcium Gluconate : Analyzed in Mercadona’s Sisbela eye contour .
- Magnesium Gluconate : Analyzed in De Lierac Mésolift Fatigue Correction Serum .
- Zinc Gluconate : Analyzed in Lancôme Men’s Age Fight Anti-age Perfecting Fluid anti-wrinkle cream .
- Tocopheryl Succinate : It is the succinic acid ester of tocopherol (vitamin E), which works as an antioxidant.
- Niacin : Tested in Filorga’s Ultralifting Lift Designer Serum .
- Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Powder : Sesame seed powder that acts as a conditioning agent. Provides an excellent wrinkle smoothing and lip plumping effect. Restores lost volume and minimizes the appearance of lines. Improves skin hydration, smooths its texture and blurs imperfections.
- Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Peel Extract : Lime peel extract is often added to skin care products as a fragrance ingredient because it contains the fragrance chemicals bergaptene and limonene. Unfortunately, the extract can sometimes cause phytophotodermatitis on contact with the skin. Phytophotodermatitis is a chemical reaction that makes the skin more sensitive to UV light, resulting in an uneven appearance of the skin. Although lime peel extract may have some antioxidant activity, experts believe that its sensitizing potential outweighs any benefits.
- Commiphora Mukul Resin Extract : Extract from the resin of the Gugul tree or Myrrh Mukul. It works as a skin conditioning agent and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Codium Tomentosum Extract : Codium Tomentosum extract is a marine hydration factor obtained from a green algae called Codium tomentosum. Normalizes and balances the moisture content of the skin. When formulated into creams or lotions, it quickly hydrates the skin. Unlike normal moisturizing agents, the moisturizing effect of Codium tomentosum extract is long-lasting, and its moisturizing effects can be observed several hours later.
- Polygonum Cuspidatum Root Extract : Analyzed in the Youth Recovery Concentrate Force Revive by Germaine de Capuccini for Men .
- Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract : Tested in the Clinique Smart eye contour .
- Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract : Tested in Eve Lom’s Cleanser .
- Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine) Peel Extract : Extract from the peel of the tangerine. A 2016 study published in the journal Pharmacognosy Research evaluated the anti-aging potential of this extract, which found that it possesses strong antioxidant activity, as well as anti-collagenase and anti-elastase activity. Collagenase and elastase are enzymes that break down collagen and elastin, respectively. Since collagen and elastin are responsible for maintaining the strength and elasticity of the skin, it is important to prevent the breakdown of these proteins. Therefore, mandarin peel extract is an ideal ingredient for anti-aging products.
- Asparagopsis Armata Extract : Extract of the red algae Asparagopsis Armata, which is used as a water thickener and binder, as well as an antioxidant. It is rich in vitamins and minerals. Seaweed conditions and hydrates the skin while nourishing, rejuvenating, detoxifying and replenishing minerals. Algae also have the ability to absorb more vitamins, minerals, and beneficial substances from their surrounding environment. It can also cleanse, tone and smooth the skin and regenerate body tissues, offering new vitality and helping to maintain a youthful appearance. However, one study (one of the few) on asparagopsis armata showed it to be cytotoxic.
- Salicornia Herbacea Extract : A plant extract from salicornia. It contains good things for the skin like betaine, amino acids, and minerals, and the extract can strengthen the skin barrier, increase skin recovery, and provide a deep hydrating effect. There is also an in vitro study (not done on real people but in the lab) from 2009 that shows the promising antioxidant properties of salicornia extract and concludes that it would be a good candidate for a skin rejuvenating agent.
- Alcaligenes Polysaccharides : Polysaccharides produced by a bacterial culture of Alcaligenes Latus, which works as a gelling agent based on Gram-negative bacteria, similar to xanthan gum (xanthan gum). It can absorb more than 1,000 times its own weight, approximately 5 times that of high calorific synthetic polymer absorbents currently in use on the market. In addition, it has a moisture retention capacity in dry environments that is also superior. The polymer chain forms a three-dimensional network to retain free water as well as to bind it. This 3D network has a unique feature that forms a moisturizing film on the skin with a unique light texture.
- Glucose : Analyzed in the Lancaster Skin Therapy eye contour .
- Porphyridiaceae bloody extract , Analyzed in Ultralifting Life Designer Serum of Filorga .
- Sigesbeckia Orientalis (St. Paul’S Wort) Extract : Tested in Clinique For Men Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Squalane : Tested in Clinique For Men Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Cholesterol : Tested in the Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye contour .
- Caffeine : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Undaria Pinnatifida Extract: Undaria Pinnatifida, also known as brown algae, is a type of seaweed that is also edible. Like most seaweed, it is a rich source of nutrients, and these benefit the skin when applied topically. Among the benefits of applying brown algae to the skin are the antioxidant of its polyphenols, the hydration of its polysaccharides and the soothing, thanks to a compound known as fucoidan. In vitro (test tube) research has shown that this type of algae plays an important role in the pathway that melanin (skin pigment) takes to reach the surface of the skin. In theory, topical use can keep discolorations at bay. Some research indicates that brown algae have more antioxidants than red or green algae, but topically,
- Ascophyllum Nodosum Extract : Tested in La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Cream moisturizer .
- Laminaria Digitata Extract : Analyzed in the Oskia Eye Wonder eye contour .
- Sea Salt \ Maris Sal \ Sel Marin : May be effective as a topical scrub, but if left on the skin, it may increase the risk of a sensitivity reaction.
- Castanea Sativa (Chestnut) Seed Extract : Analyzed in Sesderma’s Reti Age eye contour .
- Plankton Extract : Tested in the Clinique Smart eye contour .
- Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract : Tested in the Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye contour .
- Acetyl Hexapeptide-8 : Analyzed in Nezeni Cosmetics anti-wrinkle cream as Acetyl Hexapeptide.
- Trehalose : Tested in the Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye contour .
- Lactoperoxidase : Lactoperoxidase is an enzyme found naturally in milk that has antimicrobial and antioxidant properties. According to research published in the Journal of Applied Microbiology, “It has antibacterial properties that are helpful for the skin and can kill acne-causing bacteria.” Lactoperoxidase is also an important component in a combination of ingredients (LPO, glucose, glucose oxidase (GO), iodide and thiocyanate) used to prevent the growth of yeast, fungi, viruses and bacteria in cosmetics and other beauty products.
- Dimethicone : Tested in Shiseido Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Lecithin : Analyzed in Fiori di Cipria’s anti-wrinkle cream for men .
- Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate : Tested in Kanebo’s Sensai Ultimate The Concentrate anti-wrinkle cream .
- Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein : Tested in the Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye contour .
- Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract : Analyzed in the Decléor Harmonie Calm eye contour .
- Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Fruit Juice : Tested in Lancaster Youth Renewal 365 Skin Repair Serum .
- Glucose Oxidase : Glucose oxidase is a synthetic enzyme that catalyzes the oxidation of glucose from sugar to gluconic acid. It works as a skin conditioning agent and is an all-natural bactericide.
- Linolenic Acid : Analyzed in Skeen + Anti-Aging Correcting Concentrate .
- Hydrolyzed Rice Extract : Tested in Clinique Smart Eye Contour as Hydrolyzed Rice Bran Extract.
- Laminaria Saccharina Extract : Tested in Tom Ford for Men Revitalizing Serum .
- Yeast Extract \ Faex \ Extrait De Levure : Tested in the Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye contour .
- Acetyl Glucosamine : Tested in Clinique For Men Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Bisabolol : Analyzed in the Lancaster Skin Therapy eye contour .
- Glycosaminoglycans : Analyzed in Mercadona’s Sisbela eye contour .
- Ethylhexylglycerin : Analyzed in Nezeni Cosmetics anti-wrinkle cream .
- Sodium Pca : Tested in the Shiseido Benefiance WrinkleResist24 eye contour .
- Tourmaline: Tourmaline, a gemstone that has the largest color spectrum of all gemstones. As an energizing stone, tourmaline is believed to revitalize the skin, making it appear more radiant and youthful. When tourmaline crystals are heated by rubbing them on the skin, they are positively charged at one end and negatively at the other. Due to this unique characteristic, it has been incorporated into moisturizers, exfoliators and anti-aging to increase the absorption of nutrients in the skin. It triggers a warming effect to increase the production of new collagen and the contraction of the fibers, thus restoring the elasticity of the skin. There is also some research published in The Journal of Cosmetic Science that claims that tourmaline radiates infrared rays and this warms the skin,
- Linoleic Acid : Tested on Clinique For Men eye contour .
- Sorbitol : Analyzed in Mercadona’s Sisbela eye contour .
- Urea : Analyzed in Mercadona’s Sisbela eye contour .
- Tocopheryl Acetate : Analyzed in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men as Tocopherol Acetate.
- Pentylene Glycol : Tested in Nezeni Cosmetics Anti-Wrinkle Cream
- Sodium Hyaluronate : Analyzed in Nezeni Cosmetics anti-wrinkle cream .
- Polyquaternium-51 : Tested in Shiseido Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream .
- Ethylbisiminomethylguaiacol Manganese Chloride : Also known as EUK-134. According to the Journal of Investigative Dermatology, not only does it prevent damage caused by exposure to the sun’s harmful UVB rays, it can also increase cell survival after exposure occurs. Therefore, it is a complete antioxidant system that mimics nature and is safe and beneficial in cosmetics and more importantly in sunscreens. It can be very effective in the fight against photoaging and photocarcinogenesis in the short and long term by UVB radiation on the skin.
- Hydroxypropyl Cyclodextrin : Tested in Isdinceutics AGE Reverse Anti-Wrinkle Cream from Isdin .
- Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate : Analyzed in the Vichy Eyes LIFTACTIV contour .
- Nordihydroguaiaretic Acid : Tested in Lab Series Night Recovery Lotion cream .
- Sodium Hydroxide : Analyzed in Fiori di Cipria’s anti-wrinkle cream for men .
- Alcohol Denat : Tested in Shiseido Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream .
- Carbomer : Analyzed in Nezeni Cosmetics anti-wrinkle cream .
- Xanthan Gum : Tested in L’Oréal Men Expert’s Vita Lift 5 Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Potassium Sorbate : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Fragrance (Parfum) .
- Disodium Edta : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Bht : Analyzed in Shiseido Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream .
- Phenoxyethanol : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Amyl Cinnamal : Analyzed in Bio-Oil anti-stretch mark oil .
- Hexyl Cinnamal : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Benzyl Benzoate : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Citronellol : Tested in Shiseido Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream .
- Limonene : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Coumarin : Analyzed in Biotherm Homme Force Supreme Youth Reshaping Cream for men .
- Linalool : Tested in Clarins Men’s Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Men .
- Blue 1 (Ci 42090) : Tested in Aquasource Gel De Biotherm cream .
- Red 4 (Ci 14700) : Analyzed in L’Oreal Revitalift Laser X3 SPF 20 cream .
Summary analysis The Revitalizing Hydrating Serum de La Mer
La Mer’s “miracle broth” formula – the secret ingredient in Crème De La Mer – is as well-guarded as the recipe for Coca-Cola.
However, if the ingredients are studied individually, the miracle broth turns out to be a very unimpressive mix of algae and minerals, which does not justify its high price at all.
The dominant ingredient is water, but it is not just H2O. La Mer uses unstructured water, which is simply that the molecules have been separated so that they are more easily absorbed by the body – although there is no scientific evidence that this is the case.
But at first glance, it seems that there is much more than just designer water inside the revitalizing and hydrating serum.
It has far fewer fillers than most beauty products, and with a glance at INCI you quickly realize that it has an impressive array of botanicals.
La Mer has focused on marine botanicals, but research on these assets is often sparse. There is a good amount of algae, whose function is almost always the same: antioxidant and hydrating.
Although most of the properties of algae are given by the manufacturer, and it is impossible to contrast it with another source. A study (one of the few) on Asparagopsis Armata (a species of red algae) showed that it was cytotoxic.
The most convincing is Ascophyllum Nodosum extract, which has been shown to be an antioxidant with free radical absorption capacity.
There are a surprising number of ingredients that could be the cosmetic equivalent of wolves in sheep’s clothing. One of them is Nordihydroguaiaretic Acid, which was banned for consumption because it was found to be toxic, although it may have the benefit of clearing acne.
Along the list are a couple of interesting ingredients. One is Ethylbisiminomethylguaiacol Manganese Chloride, a useful antioxidant that prevents damage caused by UVB rays. And the other is Argireline, a peptide that prevents and treats the formation of wrinkles.
Although I must admit that La Mer serum is an anti-aging product full of interesting assets, there are really too many ingredients for the really beneficial ones to exert their effect properly.
With so little solid evidence behind some of these assets, I don’t think the broth is as miraculous as it is painted. For the cost, I would like to have a more concentrated formulation, with what matters at the top of the list.
This product is not suitable for all pockets, we understand that. That is why we give you a more affordable and equally -or even more- effective recommendation for treating mature skin.
And this alternative is the Nezeni Cosmetics Intensive Antiage Serum, full of beneficial ingredients to treat aging, such as Vitamin C, Cobiolift or Hyaluronic Acid.
Kathie Sand always saw the world of beauty as the terrain on which to build her professional career, a goal that was clear to her when she was only 15 years old. Her great concern to expand knowledge led her to settle in Paris where she studied hand in hand with the best beauty professionals and with the most advanced techniques for skin care.